Gratitude as medicine

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Scientists Show How Gratitude Literally Alters The Human Heart & Molecular Structure Of The Brain

Consciousness
Scientists Show How Gratitude Literally Alters The Human Heart & Molecular Structure Of The Brain

In Brief
  • The Facts:
    Scientists have discovered that feelings of gratitude can actually change your brain. Feeling gratitude can also be a great tool for overcoming depression and anxiety. Furthermore, scientists have discovered that the heart sends signals to the brain.

• Reflect On:
    Every time we struggle with depression, why are we constantly encouraged to take prescription medication when mindfulness techniques actually show more promise?
Gratitude is a funny thing. In some parts of the world, somebody who gets a clean drink of water, some food, or a worn out pair of shoes can be extremely grateful. Meanwhile, somebody else who has all the necessities they need to live can be found complaining about something. What we have today is what we once wanted before, but there is a lingering belief out there that obtaining material possessions is the key to happiness. Sure, this may be true, but that happiness is temporary. The truth is that happiness is an inside job.

It’s a matter of perspective, and in a world where we are constantly made to feel like we are lacking and always ‘wanting’ more, it can be difficult to achieve or experience actual happiness. Many of us are always looking toward external factors to experience joy and happiness, when really it’s all related to internal work. This is something science is just starting to grasp as well, as shown by research coming out of UCLA’s Mindfulness Awareness Research Center. According to them:

Having an attitude of gratitude changes the molecular structure of the brain, keeps gray matter functioning, and makes us healthier and happier. When you feel happiness, the central nervous system is affected. You are more peaceful, less reactive and less resistant. Now that’s a really cool way of taking care of your well-being.

There are many studies showing that people who count their blessings tend to be far happier and experience less depression. For one study, researchers recruited people with mental health difficulties, including people suffering from anxiety and depression. The study involved nearly 300 adults who were randomly divided into three groups. This study came from the University of California, Berkeley.

All groups received counselling services, but the first group was also instructed to write one letter of gratitude to another person every week for three weeks, whereas the second group was asked to write about their deepest thoughts and feelings about negative experiences. The third group did not do any writing activity.

What did they find? Compared to the participants who wrote about negative experiences or only received counselling, those who wrote gratitude letters reported significantly better mental health for up to 12 weeks after the writing exercise ended.

This suggests that gratitude writing can be beneficial not just for healthy, well-adjusted individuals, but also for those who struggle with mental health concerns. In fact, it seems, practicing gratitude on top of receiving psychological counseling carries greater benefits than counseling alone, even when that gratitude practice is brief. (source)

Previously, a study on gratitude conducted by Robert A. Emmons, Ph.D. at the University of California, Davis and his colleague Mike McCullough at the University of Miami randomly assigned participants to be given one of three tasks. Each week, participants kept a short journal. One group described five things they were grateful for that had occurred in the past week, another group recorded daily troubles from the previous week that displeased them, and the neutral group was asked to list five events or circumstances that affected them, but they were not told whether to focus on the positive or the negative. Ten weeks later, participants in the gratitude group felt better about their lives as a whole and were a full 25 percent happier than the troubled group. They reported fewer health complaints and exercised an average of 1.5 hours more. (source)

Researchers from Berkeley identified how gratitude might actually work on our minds and bodies. They provided four insights from their research suggesting what causes the psychological benefits of gratitude.

• Gratitude unshackles us from toxic emotions
  • Gratitude helps even if you don’t share it
  • Gratitude’s benefits take time & practice. You might not feel it right away.
  • Gratitude has lasting effects on the brain
The brain part is very interesting. The researchers at Berkeley used an fMRI scanner to measure brain activity while people from each group did a “pay it forward” task. During the task, the participants were given money by a “nice person.” This person’s only request was that they pass on the money to someone if they felt grateful.

They did this because they wanted to distinguish between actions motivated by gratitude and actions driven by other motivations like obligation, guilt, or what other people think. This is important because you can’t fake gratitude, you actually have to feel it. If you don’t feel grateful or practice trying to feel grateful by taking the necessary steps like keeping a gratitude journal, you may not experience as much joy and happiness.

Full story at site

Consciousness

In Brief
  • The Facts:
    Scientists have discovered that feelings of gratitude can actually change your brain. Feeling gratitude can also be a great tool for overcoming depression and anxiety. Furthermore, scientists have discovered that the heart sends signals to the brain.

• Reflect On:
    Every time we struggle with depression, why are we constantly encouraged to take prescription medication when mindfulness techniques actually show more promise?
Gratitude is a funny thing. In some parts of the world, somebody who gets a clean drink of water, some food, or a worn out pair of shoes can be extremely grateful. Meanwhile, somebody else who has all the necessities they need to live can be found complaining about something. What we have today is what we once wanted before, but there is a lingering belief out there that obtaining material possessions is the key to happiness. Sure, this may be true, but that happiness is temporary. The truth is that happiness is an inside job.

It’s a matter of perspective, and in a world where we are constantly made to feel like we are lacking and always ‘wanting’ more, it can be difficult to achieve or experience actual happiness. Many of us are always looking toward external factors to experience joy and happiness, when really it’s all related to internal work. This is something science is just starting to grasp as well, as shown by research coming out of UCLA’s Mindfulness Awareness Research Center. According to them:

Having an attitude of gratitude changes the molecular structure of the brain, keeps gray matter functioning, and makes us healthier and happier. When you feel happiness, the central nervous system is affected. You are more peaceful, less reactive and less resistant. Now that’s a really cool way of taking care of your well-being.

There are many studies showing that people who count their blessings tend to be far happier and experience less depression. For one study, researchers recruited people with mental health difficulties, including people suffering from anxiety and depression. The study involved nearly 300 adults who were randomly divided into three groups. This study came from the University of California, Berkeley.

All groups received counselling services, but the first group was also instructed to write one letter of gratitude to another person every week for three weeks, whereas the second group was asked to write about their deepest thoughts and feelings about negative experiences. The third group did not do any writing activity.

What did they find? Compared to the participants who wrote about negative experiences or only received counselling, those who wrote gratitude letters reported significantly better mental health for up to 12 weeks after the writing exercise ended.

This suggests that gratitude writing can be beneficial not just for healthy, well-adjusted individuals, but also for those who struggle with mental health concerns. In fact, it seems, practicing gratitude on top of receiving psychological counseling carries greater benefits than counseling alone, even when that gratitude practice is brief. (source)

Previously, a study on gratitude conducted by Robert A. Emmons, Ph.D. at the University of California, Davis and his colleague Mike McCullough at the University of Miami randomly assigned participants to be given one of three tasks. Each week, participants kept a short journal. One group described five things they were grateful for that had occurred in the past week, another group recorded daily troubles from the previous week that displeased them, and the neutral group was asked to list five events or circumstances that affected them, but they were not told whether to focus on the positive or the negative. Ten weeks later, participants in the gratitude group felt better about their lives as a whole and were a full 25 percent happier than the troubled group. They reported fewer health complaints and exercised an average of 1.5 hours more. (source)

Researchers from Berkeley identified how gratitude might actually work on our minds and bodies. They provided four insights from their research suggesting what causes the psychological benefits of gratitude.

The brain part is very interesting. The researchers at Berkeley used an fMRI scanner to measure brain activity while people from each group did a “pay it forward” task. During the task, the participants were given money by a “nice person.” This person’s only request was that they pass on the money to someone if they felt grateful.

They did this because they wanted to distinguish between actions motivated by gratitude and actions driven by other motivations like obligation, guilt, or what other people think. This is important because you can’t fake gratitude, you actually have to feel it. If you don’t feel grateful or practice trying to feel grateful by taking the necessary steps like keeping a gratitude journal, you may not experience as much joy and happiness.

Full story at site

This was really nice to read Debi. You can probably imagine that I am a person who feels significant and sincere gratitude even for the smallest of things. Boy does it help to raise my spirits and I think it does the same for others too.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Oh, back in the mid-1990s, I worked for a director who took me aside and essentially said that she found my too frequent “please” and “thank you” to be disingenuous. I told her that I would make a real effort to try to reduce the use of those words in her presence but that I use only words which are actually genuine to my thoughts and feelings. I also apologized to her for whatever occurred / occurs in her life which made it impossible for her to feel genuine appreciation for the actions of others including our coworkers, peers, and subordinates.

It wasn’t even a full year later that I resigned from that role under that same director after realizing that several of her cronies were artificially burdening my 0.5 million dollar budget with unreal bull sh@t costs and expenses. That was probably my last opportunity to tell her “thank you”...it was as she accepted my resignation. :D

Yes, that is a good practice, and one that I should embrace more frequently! Since becoming aware of a sobering medical condition, I have to try even more to focus on the things that I am grateful for! It does brighten things to do so.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Oh, back in the mid-1990s, I worked for a director who took me aside and essentially said that she found my too frequent “please” and “thank you” to be disingenuous. I told her that I would make a real effort to try to reduce the use of those words in her presence but that I use only words which are actually genuine to my thoughts and feelings. I also apologized to her for whatever occurred / occurs in her life which made it impossible for her to feel genuine appreciation for the actions of others including our coworkers, peers, and subordinates.

It wasn’t even a full year later that I resigned from that role under that same director after realizing that several of her cronies were artificially burdening my 0.5 million dollar budget with unreal bull sh@t costs and expenses. That was probably my last opportunity to tell her “thank you”...it was as she accepted my resignation. :D
nice one,WandS!

Reactions: Lynne

Consciousness

In Brief
  • The Facts:

• Reflect On:

Full story at site
GREAT ARTICLE! Thank you for posting

LOVE this quote "The truth is that happiness is an inside job."

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Yes, that is a good practice, and one that I should embrace more frequently! Since becoming aware of a sobering medical condition, I have to try even more to focus on the things that I am grateful for! It does brighten things to do so.
Garnet, I totally get that, as I deal with my own condition and that of other family members. But I do try to find something every day to be grateful for, and I always find more than one!

As you get older just waking up still alive is something to be grateful for,so I start every day grateful.

Great article. Wands you and I are similar in this. As I’ve gotten further along in my spiritual walk, I’ve learned to practice showing love and gratefulness. I try to be conscious of my blessings and let others know they are appreciated. Wands has also given me another step in this walk and it is not lying. It is often easier to make excuses or fib over little things. I have set the intention to break this habit and always be honest. I have found some creative ways to do this lol.

Reactions: ozentity