Giant Sarcophagus Found

Benway you really touch on something here. Years ago during a summer spent with family in Ireland it was so hot a lot of the vegetation was burned off revealing neolithic archaeology. Across the valley from us a cist grave was discovered a small stone-built coffin-like box.

Archaeologists from Dublin arrived and removed the remains and grave good. Myself and my uncle went to visit this lonely place on an empty hillside, the stone top was left beside the empty grave which struck me as very sad. It may have been thousands of years ago but those people buried their dead with dignity and whoever was buried there was an ancestor only to end up in a box buried in a university basement, it just felt so wrong to me.

Research is required but was their anything new to be learnt from this? Would you dig up your grandparents? Forensics aside or adding to the the knowledge of a discipline why? And why not rebury?

My guess is civilisation started when we began respect each other and how we treated our dead. I'll get off the soap box now.
You put that beautifully and better than I could. Our culture treats our ancestors as sub-human grunting savages worthy of no respect. Not, say actual people with knowledge of science and mathematics, who knew the world was round, traveled to America, built cities, created art and stories, performed great feats of engineering, had culture, lived loved, were loved, joked and were just like us!
Often, everything about them gets reduced to "they created it to worship the dead" and ironically we take that one thing away. Well they do. I don't count us all part of the same culture that does that.

Reactions: TonyM
You put that beautifully and better than I could. Our culture treats our ancestors as sub-human grunting savages worthy of no respect. Not, say actual people with knowledge of science and mathematics, who knew the world was round, traveled to America, built cities, created art and stories, performed great feats of engineering, had culture, lived loved, were loved, joked and were just like us!
Often, everything about them gets reduced to "they created it to worship the dead" and ironically we take that one thing away. Well they do. I don't count us all part of the same culture that does that.

Well said. We would not be here without the achievements of our ancestors, every generation regardless of culture or geographic location contributed to the accumulation of knowledge whether for just survival or pushing the boundaries of learning.

People should be treated with respect from whatever age till now, too easy for some folks to be cold and impersonal unless they maybe have a personal connection and that is just wrong.

Reactions: Lynne and Benway
Well said. We would not be here without the achievements of our ancestors, every generation regardless of culture or geographic location contributed to the accumulation of knowledge whether for just survival or pushing the boundaries of learning.

People should be treated with respect from whatever age till now, too easy for some folks to be cold and impersonal unless they maybe have a personal connection and that is just wrong.
Clapping , well stated.

Reactions: TonyM
How awesome would it have been had there actually been a gigantic skeleton in the Sarcophagus! One of these days we'll find something concrete that scientists won't have an answer for and will want to take time, and years, to study.
I’m thinking this has already happened and they’re in the basement of the Smithsonian lol.