Giant Sarcophagus Found

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
What's Inside This Massive Egyptian Sarcophagus?

A massive black granite sarcophagus and a sculpture of a man who may be buried inside have been discovered in a tomb in Alexandria, Egypt.

The granite sarcophagus looks foreboding: It's nearly 9 feet long, 5 feet wide and 6 feet tall (2.7 by 1.5 by 1.8 meters). And, it may be the largest sarcophagus ever discovered in Alexandria, said Mostafa Waziri, general secretary of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, in a statement released by Egypt's antiquities ministry.

A thick layer of mortar covers much of the sarcophagus, suggesting that it has not been opened since it was buried, Waziri said in the statement. As such, the person buried in the sarcophagus, along with any clothing or jewelry they wore and any artifacts they were buried with, may still be intact, waiting to be discovered.

Full story at site

Great find Debi. I hope we follow up on this story. There is a few pics at the site.

Or a slightly smaller sarcophagus.
Another option is that a story will go out saying that it was well known that an old box was buried there and everyone knew there was nothing in it, and then the story will vanish and never be mentioned again. It's an Egyptian tradition.

I have some misgivings about grave robbing generally, which is a big part of archaeology, but in this case anything done to the remains has to be an improvement on where they were!
Perhaps it's a simpler and more effective version of a curse. Well, I don't know about magic, but if we fill it with...

Last edited:
I have some misgivings about grave robbing generally, which is a big part of archaeology, but in this case anything done to the remains has to be an improvement on where they were!
Perhaps it's a simpler and more effective version of a curse. Well, I don't know about magic, but if we fill it with...

Benway you really touch on something here. Years ago during a summer spent with family in Ireland it was so hot a lot of the vegetation was burned off revealing neolithic archaeology. Across the valley from us a cist grave was discovered a small stone-built coffin-like box.

Archaeologists from Dublin arrived and removed the remains and grave good. Myself and my uncle went to visit this lonely place on an empty hillside, the stone top was left beside the empty grave which struck me as very sad. It may have been thousands of years ago but those people buried their dead with dignity and whoever was buried there was an ancestor only to end up in a box buried in a university basement, it just felt so wrong to me.

Research is required but was their anything new to be learnt from this? Would you dig up your grandparents? Forensics aside or adding to the the knowledge of a discipline why? And why not rebury?

My guess is civilisation started when we began respect each other and how we treated our dead. I'll get off the soap box now.

Benway you really touch on something here. Years ago during a summer spent with family in Ireland it was so hot a lot of the vegetation was burned off revealing neolithic archaeology. Across the valley from us a cist grave was discovered a small stone-built coffin-like box.

Archaeologists from Dublin arrived and removed the remains and grave good. Myself and my uncle went to visit this lonely place on an empty hillside, the stone top was left beside the empty grave which struck me as very sad. It may have been thousands of years ago but those people buried their dead with dignity and whoever was buried there was an ancestor only to end up in a box buried in a university basement, it just felt so wrong to me.

Research is required but was their anything new to be learnt from this? Would you dig up your grandparents? Forensics aside or adding to the the knowledge of a discipline why? And why not rebury?

My guess is civilisation started when we began respect each other and how we treated our dead. I'll get off the soap box now.
I totally agree

Reactions: TonyM