Giant bird report

Discussion in 'Cryptids and Creatures' started by Debi, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

Another Great Bird from Land of Lincoln

Another Great Bird from Land of Lincoln
    October 25, 2018 by lindagodfrey

Received report Oct 23, 2018, 1:12 AM

A man who wishes to remain anonymous said he had a sighting he could not explain, and wasn’t going to tell anyone about it, but recently changed his mind hoping someone could identify it. The sighting took place in summer, 2018, in Love’s Park, Illinois, only about 20 miles south of the Wisconsin border, and included his daughter. They are habitual sky gazers, he said, and enjoy watching planes on their flight paths to and from O’Hare Airport. But what they saw that day just before dusk was no aircraft.

What he described as “the thing we saw” appeared to be about 100 feet in the air, flying due east over their heads and then circling once before continuing its eastbound path. It was close enough, he said, that they felt they had a good view.

He wrote, “This very large bird was gliding in the air above us. I cannot say for sure the exact size of this bird, because it was in the sky and there wasn’t anything to reference it with.

“This large bird was about 6 feet long, and 15-20 feet wide! This thing was huge!!! One thing really stuck out when we watched it, the wings did NOT flap like a normal bird. It just glided.”

The man said the closest photo he found was at Atlas Obscura’s Web site:[​IMG]

The man added they have seen cranes, eagles and other large birds in the area, but this one was much larger than any of those. He described it as dark in color, white ring around its neck. “The wings had a white stripe along the edge of its wings,” he said, “and the wings had feathers.”

He said he researched birds of all types for weeks but found nothing that resembled what he saw. He said, “But that is how I came across your site. I bought your book (American Monsters) and began reading it, and saw others have seen something similar to me! That is when I realized that we were not alone, and I have now chosen to speak to you about the sighting.”

He added, “But the large bird we saw was almost black in color, white ring around its neck, white stripe along its wings edge, and VERY LARGE! It did not move its wings either, it just glided. I have saw turkey vultures before. In a way is does resemble it. But the size and colors did not! This thing put a turkey vulture to shame, in size!”

I’m not sure what this could be, either. The closest I could come is a Steller’s sea eagle, see this National Geographic photo with its dark feathers and white trim. Its wingspan is eight feet, smaller than this reported big bird but still really impressive, I’m sure. Illinois has a history of large bird sightings dating back many decades; perhaps this one will be added to the list. I hope sky gazers of that area will all spend some time looking up in case the dark-feathered one makes another fly-by.

Timothy Ochoa likes this.
  2. Timothy Ochoa

Timothy Ochoa
    Expand Collapse

awesome, another very large bird (Possible Thunderbird again?) sighting! about 6ft or so long/tall and 15-20 foot wingspan is definitely staggering + Thunderbirds have been reported to be seen at those sizes. also, him detailing the white frill ring of feathers around its neck is interesting some to me, as I have read/seen quite a bit of Thunderbird sighting descriptions noting they saw that too. *interestingly, Condors are known to possess that white frill ring of feathers around their necks as well.. but their wingspans get to about 10-11 feet at maximum, far shorter than this potential Thunderbird. the black plumage and white stripe along the wings edges sounds very turkey vulture or eagle-esque to me, but I'm sure the fella here didn't do misidentificaton if he's also seen them, cranes and eagles before for reference. if it put their wingspans to shame, then it must've been something special. anyways as y'all may know, I'm a large flying cryptids/Thunderbird fanatic lol so any new stories coming in are gold to me. thx Debi!

Lynne likes this.
  3. Ronin

Ronin
    Expand Collapse
    Recall my name, on your journey to hell.

The air can play tricks on your perception and make things appear radically larger depending on the conditions. Also, for whatever reason I find the 'typical/maximum' wing span for large birds to be consistently low. When I was a teen we had a family of hawks where the parents had a good 6 and a half foot wingspan. I actually got to see them on the ground, in the road, devouring something, less than 10 feet from me. I was astounded at just how big those things were. In a good post-storm yellow sky I could easily see mistaking that wingspan for something twice as much, especially if the hawks were just above treetop level and had a goof framing against the clouds.

And that doesn't even rule out the occasional specimen that's just way bigger than is typical. Things like the NBA make us normalize our own physical outliers.

4. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Truth seeker
    Tier-1 Mod

I believe these people are seeing something. I agree sometimes perceptions can be off but most of these reports say the bird was redicolously large.

5. Ronin

Ronin
    Expand Collapse

IMHO, if they are seeing something unusual, it would tend to be more likely a result of IDF (inter-dimensional fatigue). Unlike ground creatures, it's absurdly easy to spot and photograph aerial objects, and extremely difficult to hide them, as landing spots are easy to locate. It why militaries have had to invent all sorts of active camouflage and hardened storage for airborne assets.

That's not to rule out anything, just to say I'd be more inclined to believe BF could remain hidden while being a natural creature than I would giant birds or pteradons.

6. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Truth seeker
    Tier-1 Mod

Good points but when you see one I bet you will change your view :D

7. Ronin

Ronin
    Expand Collapse

I see what you did there :p

Lynne likes this.