Ghosts vs spirits...there is a difference

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Ghosts and Spirits: The Differing Perspectives

This is a good read with differing perspectives. I happen to believe in the one below that I took from the article.

Continuing with perspectives in the paranormal community, I posed the question to June Lundgren. June is a psychic medium, demon seer, healer, animal communicator, professional nurse and an international author. I was particularly interested in her perspective as a psychic medium and a demon seer.

June told me that a ghost and a spirit are completely two separate entities. She stated that, “A ghost is a soul that resides within the physical world plane of existence. A spirit is a soul that has made the transition from the earthly plane of existence to the angelic plane.”

When I had asked if she could physically see or feel the differences between the two, she replied, “A ghost usually appears as they looked in their last earthly life. A soul (spirit) can appear as they were in any of their past lives.”

In the movie The Sixth Sense, most of us didn’t even notice that Dr. Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) wore the same clothes throughout the movie until the end when we discovered, along with him, that he was a ghost. This seems to be the general theme in Hollywood’s view of a ghost, but June’s explanation of a spirit appearing as what they were in their past lives could explain why some see an entity that has no “known” connection to a certain property or dwelling.

After reading the article, give me your thoughts.

I like June's idea the best,it seems right to me.I think ghosts scare people as they are unsettled and anguished ,where a spirit is happy and on the right path or already there and has a feeling of love and contentment.

I've never thought of them as being two separate entities, but I rarely use the word spirit.
Having interacted with both, I truly see the differences. There are also the levels of demons and elementals. These things all live in different "dimensions/realms" of our universe, imo.

Good discussion and one I have had several times. The terms are often used interchangeably. I have come to think that a Ghost is an image, set of events, feelings, residual energy that is still in one place and can be perceived. I use Spirit to mean something I can communicate with or is here and now in our time frame and able to interact with it.
Weirdly it is the ones that interact most in the way of poltergeist activity that I have a hard time seeing! I can sense them, feel their presence - but just can't see them....Usually.
I don't know why that is but just seems to be the rule with me. Any ideas?

Most paranormal researchers seem to organise things into residual hauntings and active hauntings, and this sort of follows the two groups.

Not so sure about spirits able to appear as a different form based on past lives as I have not experienced that. It would mess a lot of sightings up if they were able to appear as a more modern version of themselves.

The Catholic Priest's version which is essentially there are no ghosts or spirits of people is one of the reasons I left That is their firm standpoint and contradicts experience. As their stock and trade is the afterlife I would expect them to get that bit right.
I was in a church that had part of it converted into a charity shop open to the public. After a few minutes browsing I was confronted by a vicar type person wearing mostly black garments with white parts ushering me out in a most polite way, but was saying this area was private and his dressing rooms. As it was inside a church it couldn't be a demon pretending to be a very polite vicar? More likely it WAS a very polite vicar who still looks after the place as he likes it there. Probably the most Holy Ghost I have seen.
(Location Kirk of StNicholas Correction Wynd Aberdeen) (Piccy link)

Reactions: Lynne
Weirdly it is the ones that interact most in the way of poltergeist activity that I have a hard time seeing! I can sense them, feel their presence - but just can't see them....Usually.
I don't know why that is but just seems to be the rule with me. Any ideas?
Because poltergeist is energy that is not always formed and is normally not a "spirit" or "Ghost" by definition. It may have intelligence, but may not have form to be "seen".

Most paranormal researchers seem to organise things into residual hauntings and active hauntings, and this sort of follows the two groups.
The "ghosts" are the group they subdivide into the two forms normally. These are the ones trapped on this side of the veil. Spirits can come and go and are always intelligent entities, imo. This does not mean that ghosts have not been human..they are. They are just "stuck" over here. The residuals are usually energy prints, like on a tape recorder, that simply play back and repeat the same type of patterns over and over.

Ghosts can be moved along to the other side if they are intelligent and take on the label of "spirits" from there with the option to come and go from one side of the veil to the other.

That's just my training from my own teachers and mentors over all these many years and my personal belief system. I've interacted with most of the types over the years and have found this seems to fit well.

Reactions: Rowan2222
I have always thought of a ghost as a memory impressed on a place and a spirit is something that is still existent just not on this plane. My one very close encounter with a ghost was very much like some sort of shadowy movie in black and white. It walked across the room clear as reality and then into a closet. I went to the closet and it was empty. there was no sound but it was clear what I saw and it was dense enough that when it walked past a window it cast a sort of shadow. There was a history of "sightings" in that old long empty garage apartment. People would see someone standing at that window.

I went in late at night and was hiding in a dark corner. This was a tiny apartment with a living room dining room and kitchen across one end and then a bedroom with a closet and a bathroom. I was in the corner of the little bedroom.

This place was built by a local judge behind his house for his son. The boy was profoundly retarded and that was where he lived. He sat there in front of that window for almost 30 years. He was cared for by a black family that had long been associated with his family. He couldn't talk and wasn't able to walk really well. When his Dad died his sister took over his care and he was cared for until the day he died.

I suspect that he impressed his essence in that place and even many years after his passing there was still the image of his many years. Maybe I saw him clearly because I was sensitive. Maybe a lot of people saw him that way because he was a strong impression. Maybe he was special in some way that made his impression stronger. I have a lot of experience with special people and learned a long time ago that even with an IQ that is in the bottom of the barrel these people sometimes have other special abilities.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I think Debi has explained these terms well. The people in the article, except the priest had a general idea that was similar but describing different aspects of the entities. I think using different words to say a similar idea. So for my beliefs, I believe it’s the location of the soul/spirit bring after death that determines its title and abilities. A spirit has left the earth realm (but can visit ), the ghost has chosen not to cross over. Residual haunting are energetic impressions which were made when the person was living and may still be alive.