Getting Ready for the Eclipse/Reports from my place

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Here in my county, we are in full "emergency ready" mode, as we are in the direct path of totality.

"The total solar eclipse that will envelop Indiana will take place on April 8, 2024, with a partial eclipse from 1:50 to 4:23 p.m. The total eclipse will be from approximately 3:05:52 to 3:09:54 p.m. in the Franklin area.

Much of Indiana is along the path of totality, including Johnson County. In fact, Franklin is among the top viewing spots for the eclipse as it has one of the longest periods of totality in the state at 4 minutes and 2 seconds."

With that, it is no longer possible to find any hotel/motel/private rental during April 5 through the 9th anywhere in the area. And since this week is also known to be prime time for tornados, our emergency response teams are figuring out battle plans for those that might come in RV's or plan on tent camping in someone's yard. (No, I am not renting out my yard cuz I don't have insurance to cover you! lol)

They are warning locals to treat this time period like a winter storm...have everything you need because the stores will be overwhelmed, have gas in your car but stay off the roads. While asking us to stay home and off the roads, they are also planning "events" for the "guests"! We are slightly confused as to why we have to stay home but the guests get to go to the special events...lol To say the county is already in overdrive is an understatement.

"Franklin, for example, is having events starting on April 6, the Saturday before the eclipse, April 7 and April 8. Events include live music, a 5K Run/Walk, hot air balloon rides, food trucks, a beer and wine garden and an Astronomical Space Club Program.

Events on April 8 are expected to go on until 6 p.m., which is after the eclipse has concluded. This timing is to keep people off the roads a little longer so everyone won’t leave at the same time and snarl up traffic, Franklin officials said during the meeting."

And resources? Here ya go...

"Officials also discussed the realities of how the eclipse would strain resources. On the day of the eclipse, heavy traffic may cause gridlock and block roads.

As an example, Funkhouser referenced a story about how a two-hour drive on Interstate 65 in Kentucky became a 10-hour drive following an eclipse.

“They were seeing just a large number of people that all hit the roads at the same time, so people got stuck,” he said.

Based on conversations had with other communities that have experienced similar eclipse events, officials expect drivers to stop in roads, pull off on shoulders, park in yards, double-park and otherwise block traffic once the eclipse begins.

The sheriff’s office is also reaching out to have fuel resources for drivers who may get stuck in traffic after the eclipse.

Fire departments will have extra runs. Police will stretched, so cities and towns may need to pay to have private security for events. Drug use may also increase, based on what’s occurred in other communities, Funkhouser said.

Johnson County Public Safety Communications is planning to have full staffing on the day of the eclipse and to have redundancies in place to make sure emergency communications remain operational. Ham radio operators will also be utilized, officials said.

Local emergency management officials have also asked schools to plan to have e-Learning days on April 8, and so far five of the six public school districts have done so. Officials plan to strongly encourage the last district to do so later this month.

Health officials are also discussing the possibility of setting up family assistance centers in areas of the county. These locations would be triage areas and give people a place to go if they are displaced because of out-of-towners booking up all local hotels."

Welcome to my first report on Eclipse Mania.