Geologists studying Skyquakes

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

You would think angels could play better.
And if it were the devil, it would be fiddles, right?

• Haha
Reactions: Debi
I may have heard some of these "sky quakes." In the 1980a-90s I lived in an area about 5 miles to the north of where I am now in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains which form the northern edge of Los Angeles County. The mountains themselves are a wilderness area and home to the Angeles National Forest, Beyond the mountains lies the edge of the Mojave Desert.

During that time, I would periodically hear loud booms that seemed to come from the mountains. Others in the area have heard them too and there was some mention of them in local papers. But, there was no apparent reason for them.

UFO sightings were also not uncommon in the area. I saw one myself around 1990 a few miles to the west in the Tujunga Canyon area. It was a large, silent triangle moving slowly near a mountain peak (Mt Kagel). Others have seen UFOs near there too and at least one book has been written about this subject, "The Tujunga Canyon Contacts."

There were other strange occurrences in the area, most notably bright flashing lights that seemed to come from the mountains and briefly shine upward. These were huge, spanning miles. Much larger than any man-made lights could possibly be. They would light up the night sky like daylight for just a brief moment and then disappear, all without a sound. The lights were also seen by other locals and written about in local publications but I've never seen any mainstream mention of them.

Reactions: Lynne
Riddle me this. I watch a lot of the various UFO and unexplained Mystery shows and the thing that puzzles me the most is the repeated statements of people that see odd things flying in the sky and that it scares them and makes them afraid. ????? What is it that they are afraid of? Maybe if I saw something definitely now made in America land and some just butt ugly aliens came walking off I might be afraid of them…probably not. I have met some awfully ugly people before and most of them have been pretty nice folks. How though can you be scared to death of just a bright light high in the sky? There are a lot of lights in the night sky. If one moves, I assume that it is some sort of aircraft. Even when I thought that it was probably alien I don’t remember any fear. ????

Maybe the government is right. If people are afraid of just seeing a moving light in the sky, pandemonium might break out if it were revealed that we had visitors NOT from around here. Personally, I hope that we are not the highest lifeform there is. If so, I have to wonder if the universe might be better off without intelligent life. Sadly, at least when you are looking at our branch of intelligence, we mostly have used it to better perfect our ability to kill each other. Only a human will travel thousands of miles overseas and mountains to find and kill people that they don’t know and that have never done anything to them.

If an alien species can travel interstellar distances in a reasonable time it makes them so far ahead of us that you might as well say, “Resistance is futile!” We had better hope that they didn’t spend a lifetime getting here and plan to look us over and then go home. The kind of power and technology that they will have would make them like modern-day Marines landing in England in 2000BC.

Fortunately if all the UFOs that people spot are real the aliens are a lot more advanced and civilized than we re or will be for a LOOOONG time to come. I actually suspect that we just don’t have anything that they want or need and are just looking us over sort of like we do looking at monkeys in a zoo. Any massively advanced and ancient species has most likely abandoned living on planets. For one thing, they are dangerous and always killing people. The resources on a planet are hard to get to and the heavier more valuable ones are often so deep as to be mostly unreachable. Once we get off this ball and into space mining will be totally done in places like the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and the Kuiper belt between Neptune and Pluto.

Riddle me this. I watch a lot of the various UFO and unexplained Mystery shows and the thing that puzzles me the most is the repeated statements of people that see odd things flying in the sky and that it scares them and makes them afraid. ?????
I think it's just the very normal reaction to the unknown....fight or flight can kick in. In my case of my own experience, it wasn't "high in the sky"...it was right over head, huge, and had a weird feel to it. I kind of wonder if that wasn't because of the "drive" it used to hover silently like it was.

It may be if we actually knew what "it" was, the fear factor would lessen. Things that go bump in the night can make ya jumpy.

Reactions: Paulm
I think that maybe my Fight or Flight instinct is messed up. For one thing, I am too big to fly so have never tried. When confronted with a problem I deal with it. If attacked I fight DIRTY and nobody has ever wanted to attack me a second time. When confronted with the unknown I want to KNOW and so am more than likely going to go in than run away. I love haunted houses, I have had a UFO go low and slow right over me. I pulled my truck over and got out to get a better look at it as it passed overhead. Lordy, that was a thrill!!! I don't remember being afraid, I was just amazed and sort of stunned. I worked in a shipyard and have stood under a big ship working on them. This never made me feel like that thing did. It was HUGE and moved in a majestic silent and effortless way, unlike anything that I have seen. It had a searchlight and it swept over me. For about a half-second I wondered if maybe I had made a mistake but it kept going.

My curiosity has always been one of my strongest motivators. I always want to know how and why about almost everything. I honestly can't think of anything that made me more afraid than curious.

I used to be afraid of heights to some extent but then did a lot of work on gantry cranes in the shipyard. After you have climbed a few of those and crawled out on the boom about 75 to 100 feet up you either deal with it or lock up. After one guy locked up and had to be helped down they sent me. The crane needed new bushings and they needed the pin miked (Measured with a micrometer to get a size to within 2 thousandths of an inch.) for size so it would only be down for a minimal amount of time. I went up close to terrified but came down ready to do it again.

I would love to see a bigfoot!!! Ghosts are cool! UFOs are just a wonder! Honestly, monsters are just anything that I have not met and admired or killed. I am coming up on 70. My teen years SUCKED but I have more than made up for that and have no regrets. I am still up for an adventure!! I have even less fear now than I ever had. Being old sort of frees you up. You don't have much to lose. Does anyone know of a monster that needs to be dealt with or a haunted house that needs to be despooked? How about a UFO that needs a passenger!!!

Riddle me this. I watch a lot of the various UFO and unexplained Mystery shows and the thing that puzzles me the most is the repeated statements of people that see odd things flying in the sky and that it scares them and makes them afraid. ????? What is it that they are afraid of? Maybe if I saw something definitely now made in America land and some just butt ugly aliens came walking off I might be afraid of them…probably not. I have met some awfully ugly people before and most of them have been pretty nice folks. How though can you be scared to death of just a bright light high in the sky? There are a lot of lights in the night sky. If one moves, I assume that it is some sort of aircraft. Even when I thought that it was probably alien I don’t remember any fear. ????

Maybe the government is right. If people are afraid of just seeing a moving light in the sky, pandemonium might break out if it were revealed that we had visitors NOT from around here. Personally, I hope that we are not the highest lifeform there is. If so, I have to wonder if the universe might be better off without intelligent life. Sadly, at least when you are looking at our branch of intelligence, we mostly have used it to better perfect our ability to kill each other. Only a human will travel thousands of miles overseas and mountains to find and kill people that they don’t know and that have never done anything to them.

If an alien species can travel interstellar distances in a reasonable time it makes them so far ahead of us that you might as well say, “Resistance is futile!” We had better hope that they didn’t spend a lifetime getting here and plan to look us over and then go home. The kind of power and technology that they will have would make them like modern-day Marines landing in England in 2000BC.

Fortunately if all the UFOs that people spot are real the aliens are a lot more advanced and civilized than we re or will be for a LOOOONG time to come. I actually suspect that we just don’t have anything that they want or need and are just looking us over sort of like we do looking at monkeys in a zoo. Any massively advanced and ancient species has most likely abandoned living on planets. For one thing, they are dangerous and always killing people. The resources on a planet are hard to get to and the heavier more valuable ones are often so deep as to be mostly unreachable. Once we get off this ball and into space mining will be totally done in places like the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and the Kuiper belt between Neptune and Pluto.

This is one of the biggest conundrums of our race. We seek for life on other planets to answer the age-old question of are we alone in the universe? We find evidence that we may not be and then panic.

The 'flight or fight', as mentioned by Debi, is one of the strongest primaeval instincts that we have as part of our 'survivalist' skillsets. I believe, though, that this can only account for some people's behaviour; most of the 'panic' is produced through our fear of the unknown and taking in too much media! As an intelligent race, we are not very bright. If we come across something we cannot explain or comprehend, we panic and go off stomping the streets with 'End of the World' banners and placards in hand............

The media also feeds our frenzies. In my lifetime, the world has 'ended' on three occasions, the most prominent being the 'Year 2K Bug'. The media has a lot of influence on our perception by the stories they feed to us, and in 1999 this was so horrific in some reports of potential planes falling out of the sky at midnight, nuclear missiles being launched by automated systems, utilities shutting down and other events, that many people actually took their own lives. One of the most infamous events of the 20th Century that is a great example of this media-infused frenzy, was the 1938 CBS airing of 'War of the Worlds'. Many people fled to the hills to escape the 'alien onslaught', whilst others took a more horrific approach and ended their lives, although not to the extreme as, once again, the media made out the event to be in their 'Radio Broadcast Terrifies The US' headlines.

And, as if we did not learn something from that event, a Spanish version was produced in February 1949 for Radio Quito in Quito, Ecuador, which set off panic in the city. Police and fire services rushed out of town to engage the supposed alien invasion force. After it was revealed that the broadcast was just fiction, the panic transformed into a riot. Hundreds attacked Radio Quito and El Comercio, a local newspaper that had participated in the hoax by publishing false reports of unidentified objects in the skies above Ecuador in the days preceding the broadcast. The riot resulted in at least seven deaths.

And then there is Religion. For the majority, the belief systems that, in each of their own way tells of how the Universe, Earth and 'man' were created by a supreme being and, how he sent down his only son and allowed him to die to 'save' the people. Now, imagine what the discovery of an ancient alien society could potentially do to religion and the simple truth of the matter is, this scares some people with deep religious beliefs.

In a way, I agree with any government covering up any knowledge of alien life and civilizations. As a race, we just can not handle this information at this time and in true human tradition, there potentially would be mass panic. It is just who we are and what we do. However, on the other hand, I am like many others who are curious if we are alone in this vast Universe. I wonder about the technology we could gain from a friendly encounter with another species. I also wonder what would happen under an alien encounter with an 'invasive' force intent on taking our planet for themselves. I have questions and I have fears.

Because I am human...........

I mostly agree with what you said. Part of it is cultural though. Where I live the fight or flight has a third and most often used choice among most older men. Fight, Flight, or STAND YOUR GROUND.

I have always been too big to fly so never tried or thought of doing that. I never have fought much. Nobody that I ever fought or anyone that saw what happened ever tried me again. I was taught to do WHATEVER it takes and don't stop beating on them until they have stopped moving. I don't start fights and will avoid them if possible. Once I start though there are NO RULES.

Reactions: Lynne
It sounds like a celestial band tuning up.