Genetically modified mosquitoes may be released

Good idea but also there does need to be an independent international regulatory system for GM releases.
What may be good for one country may not be good for another and at some point a polinating insect may be engineered to be toxic to predators, or insects bred for protein may have an astonishing reproduction rate - get out and become a plague.

Would be interesting when exactly they tested this mosquito in Brazil.- Before or after the Zika virus there? It is fairly well known that infected mosquitoes can be used as a biological weapon.

How about they develop a mosquito that carries the polio and measles vaccine and release that? Getting bit would actually help us then!

I'm not for GMO in general. I'm not for this release as were not 99 % of those asked according to this article. The article also mentions that those who tested and analyzed these mosquitos had something to gain from approval.

Reactions: garnetsilver
My first reaction on any GM is that it’s not a good idea. However there are those who are suffering and dying from this pestilence. I can understand the need. I hope they really research this first.

The real mystery here is how do they sex these mosquitoes to find the males? Little tiny magnifying glasses :D:p .

My first reaction on any GM is that it’s not a good idea. However there are those who are suffering and dying from this pestilence. I can understand the need. I hope they really research this first.

The real mystery here is how do they sex these mosquitoes to find the males? Little tiny magnifying glasses :D:p .
ROFL!!!!! :p:p:p And we thought it was difficult to figure out cats!

Reactions: 7Critter and Lynne