Foul smell waking me up in the middle of the night.

SmellyRoom

Reaction score
This started two weeks ago. One day suddenly my internet connection broke, 80% of the lights went off and my clock stopped working. Then after two days I woke up smelling a foul odor in the middle of the night. It smelled like sewage. I woke my sister and asked her (we share a room together) but she didn't smell anything. This happened to me 3-4 times in the past two weeks. My mother's elder brother died a month ago, she was very close to him. Is there any connection? I read about phantom smell/phantosmia but that doesn't explain the lights going off and the broken clock.

Reactions: Donna K.
This started two weeks ago. One day suddenly my internet connection broke, 80% of the lights went off and my clock stopped working. Then after two days I woke up smelling a foul odor in the middle of the night. It smelled like sewage. I woke my sister and asked her (we share a room together) but she didn't smell anything. This happened to me 3-4 times in the past two weeks. My mother's elder brother died a month ago, she was very close to him. Is there any connection? I read about phantom smell/phantosmia but that doesn't explain the lights going off and the broken clock.

Lots of possible explanations for the electrical issue, something as simple as a tripped breaker or a wiring problem. It's unclear if both the electrical problem and the smell have reoccured, or just the smell. Is this in a house or apartment?

Your story does remind me of an elderly friend of my parents who, many years ago, lost electrical power and complained of a foul smell. Turns out on a hot summer day a squirrel had gotten into her attic and was electrocuted as he chewed on an electrical wire. This resulted in an electrical dead short and a dead squirrel whose decomposing body quickly began to reek in the 100°F-plus temperature of the attic.

Last edited:
Duke makes good point.
It could be anything, old electrical wires ect.
And yes I myself have smelled phantom odor's.
Sometimes it is a spirit letting you know they are there, but I traced it back to a smell outside at that time.
I live in an apt, and smells travel.
IMO, see if it happens more.

Lots of possible explanations for the electrical issue, something as simple as a tripped breaker or a wiring problem. It's unclear if both the electrical problem and the smell have reoccured, or just the smell. Is this in a house or apartment?

Your story does remind me of an elderly friend of my parents who, many years ago, lost electrical power and complained of a foul smell. Turns out on a hot summer day a squirrel had gotten into her attic and was electrocuted as he chewed on an electrical wire. This resulted in an electrical dead short and a dead squirrel whose decomposing body quickly began to reek in the 100°F-plus temperature of the attic.
Thanks for the reply. I live in a small apartment with 2 bedrooms, with my parents and sister. All the wiring are inside concrete wall. I don't think any rodent can get inside. Also we fixed the wiring problem the same day and there was no problem henceforth.I stay in my bedroom most of the time but I didn't smell anything other time. Only those 3-4 times in the last two week I smelled something weird in the middle of the night. I woke my sister and asked her, she didn't smell anything. I asked my parents too if they smelled anything weird, their response was negative. I get it that it could be electrical problem. But on the same day my internet connection was gone even though my computer worked fine(it was connected but there was no network) and the clock stopped suddenly.

HI, SR, and welcome. Has there been any other kind of activity in the past that might show a paranormal influence? Because it truly does sound more like an electrical kind of thing to me more than a paranormal problem. Sometimes, things just happen at the same time.

HI, SR, and welcome. Has there been any other kind of activity in the past that might show a paranormal influence? Because it truly does sound more like an electrical kind of thing to me more than a paranormal problem. Sometimes, things just happen at the same time.
Yeah maybe you are right. I might call the electrician again to see if there's any faulty wiring. Thanks Duke, ParanormalMom and Debi for the responses. They gave me great assurance, much appreciated.

Reactions: Donna K. and Debi

Yeah, that was my thought as well, especially with the internet connectivity. The foul smell is out of my bailiwick, but I do remember the chemosensory system (senses of taste and smell) can be readily and randomly affected by other medical/dental situations. For example, my daughter is susceptible to sinus and ear infections. When she has a sinus infection, her senses of taste and smell go out of wack and everything she eats tastes bad. Not saying our new friend is suffering from any medical/dental problem, just pointing out the olfactory system can be affected by other stimuli.

Reactions: Donna K. and Debi
This started two weeks ago. One day suddenly my internet connection broke, 80% of the lights went off and my clock stopped working. Then after two days I woke up smelling a foul odor in the middle of the night. It smelled like sewage.

Hi SR! I hope you do call an electrician. From experience, a short or arc in the electrical wiring ANYWHERE in your home can smolder for days before an actual fire starts causing a awful smell that can't be pinpointed. That smell could be faint and maybe come and go, especially if your wiring is behind concrete.

I'm not saying that this is what is happening to you. I don't how how that would connect with the clock, but internet service, especially wi-fi, can be very sensitive to wiring glitches in your home. At least mine is. Having your wiring checked out won't hurt anything one way or another - and could save your life.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Yep I suspect a dead animal. I’m sure if your uncle, whom you describe as close to your mom, wouldn’t manifest a foul smell. I’m guessing something chewed into some wiring in the wall or attic. In the spring rodents and other creatures look to build nests. Check for bats too! You didn’t mention what state or country you’re in.

Reactions: Donna K.