Fossil Mystery Solved??

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Interesting info, but I always wonder how many millions of grant money did it take for this tiny bit of info? I'm all about learning about the past, but in the overall scheme of things, I also look at it's importance.

The thing is that you can't look at it like that. It is a lot like a gold mining company. If you look at one mine that only had a small amount of gold in it if you place the price of all the mines on that one failed mine you would think that mining for gold was not a very profitable business. You can dig a lot of unproductive holes or ones that offer you very little but when you hit a big vein it is suddenly VERY much a profitable business. This is just a small find but you never know when you will find something that will totally change the way we look at the past and the creatures that inhabited that world.

We need to understand the past. Over and over different species and entire ecologies have risen and dominated the landscape only to then be TOTALLY wiped out. Our only hope to avoid the same happening to us is to understand what happened in the past and hopefully learn or figure out a way to avoid our turn in the blender. The dinosaurs were just one of several mass extinction events caused by different events. It is not IF but WHEN our turn comes will we be prepared for it and go on or will we just be the latest "dinosaur" that some future species may wonder how it happened to us.

Reactions: Debi
The thing is that you can't look at it like that. It is a lot like a gold mining company. If you look at one mine that only had a small amount of gold in it if you place the price of all the mines on that one failed mine you would think that mining for gold was not a very profitable business. You can dig a lot of unproductive holes or ones that offer you very little but when you hit a big vein it is suddenly VERY much a profitable business. This is just a small find but you never know when you will find something that will totally change the way we look at the past and the creatures that inhabited that world.

We need to understand the past. Over and over different species and entire ecologies have risen and dominated the landscape only to then be TOTALLY wiped out. Our only hope to avoid the same happening to us is to understand what happened in the past and hopefully learn or figure out a way to avoid our turn in the blender. The dinosaurs were just one of several mass extinction events caused by different events. It is not IF but WHEN our turn comes will we be prepared for it and go on or will we just be the latest "dinosaur" that some future species may wonder how it happened to us.
Good point ! I love this stuff. The MRIs to examine them were probably expensive but not like some studies. Money well spent in my opinion. I hope we find a live one out there.

Reactions: Debi