ForteanHerald143

Reaction score
The Gray Man warns residents to flee the island from an impending hurricane. The Gray Man has to be South Carolina’s most famous ghost.

The spirit of John C. Calhoun himself could not top the Gray Man’s long enduring history and tragic legend.

Pawleys Island sits along the coast and is home to small cottage homes, inns, and one very famous spirit.

The story is always the same - the Gray Man warns residents to flee the island from an impending hurricane.

My favorite version of this legend tells a tragic love story. A young man returning from a long absence was eager to see his fiancee.

He rode on horseback from Georgetown, SC to Pawleys Island.

The young man was so eager to see his beloved young girl that he decided not to follow the road, but take a short-cut across the marsh.
In this untraveled marsh the young man’s horse fell in quicksand, both horse and rider were killed.

The young girl was devastated and began to forlornly walk the beach, mourning her lover.

One windy summer day, she saw a man dressed all in gray approach her and recognized him as her dead fiance.

He told her to get off the island immediately because there was danger.

Without another word, he vanished.

The young woman told her parents what she had seen and they fled to the mainland.

That night the hurricane came ashore destroying nearly every home on the island.

The home of the young woman was left somehow untouched by the storm as though it had been protected by an unseen force.

The first recorded sighting of the Gray Man is from the hurricane of 1822 that hit Charleston and caused over 300 deaths on the outlying islands.

In 1893 the Gray Man appeared to the Lachicotte family. He was silent, but his meaning was clear.

The family fled the island and survived the storm.

This hurricane, called the Sea Islands Hurricane, killed an estimated 1,500 people and Lachicotte’s surely would have been part of that tragic number.

October 1954 found Bill Collins and his new bride honeymooning on the island.

Around 5 AM Bill heard a knock at their door.

Too early to be anything unimportant, Bill answered the door.

Before him stood a man in rumpled gray clothing and a gray hat which hid his features. He said that the Red Cross had sent him to tell them to leave because a big storm was coming.

Bill could smell salty brine on the man’s clothing and heard the urgency in his voice.

Suddenly the man in gray disappeared leaving Bill stunned and shaken.

Bill and his new wife left the island and Hurricane Hazel struck soon after as a Category 4 storm. Hazel eventually killed 95 people and destroyed 15,000 homes.

September 19, 1989 residents of Pawleys Island, Clara and Jack Moore were walking along the beach.

They saw a man dressed all in gray suddenly appear among the dunes. He approached them, then vanished.

This was warning enough for Clara. She and Jack packed bags and fled inland. Two days later Hurricane Hugo struck the coast as a Category 4 storm killing 76 people along its path and causing $10 Billion in damage.

Often when the Gray Man is seen the homes of his audience will be left completely untouched by the storm while the neighboring homes are decimated.

Is the Gray Man somehow protecting these homes? If his warnings were not heeded, would the homes and residents truly be destroyed?

For people who have seen the Gray Man it is without question - he came to warn them and if they hadn’t listened their lives would’ve been taken by the storm.

Source 'Unsolved Mysteries'
Link : Ghosts in Pawleys Island!

Reactions: Lynne
The Gray Man warns residents to flee the island from an impending hurricane. The Gray Man has to be South Carolina’s most famous ghost.

The spirit of John C. Calhoun himself could not top the Gray Man’s long enduring history and tragic legend.

Pawleys Island sits along the coast and is home to small cottage homes, inns, and one very famous spirit.

The story is always the same - the Gray Man warns residents to flee the island from an impending hurricane.

My favorite version of this legend tells a tragic love story. A young man returning from a long absence was eager to see his fiancee.

He rode on horseback from Georgetown, SC to Pawleys Island.

The young man was so eager to see his beloved young girl that he decided not to follow the road, but take a short-cut across the marsh.
In this untraveled marsh the young man’s horse fell in quicksand, both horse and rider were killed.

The young girl was devastated and began to forlornly walk the beach, mourning her lover.

One windy summer day, she saw a man dressed all in gray approach her and recognized him as her dead fiance.

He told her to get off the island immediately because there was danger.

Without another word, he vanished.

The young woman told her parents what she had seen and they fled to the mainland.

That night the hurricane came ashore destroying nearly every home on the island.

The home of the young woman was left somehow untouched by the storm as though it had been protected by an unseen force.

The first recorded sighting of the Gray Man is from the hurricane of 1822 that hit Charleston and caused over 300 deaths on the outlying islands.

In 1893 the Gray Man appeared to the Lachicotte family. He was silent, but his meaning was clear.

The family fled the island and survived the storm.

This hurricane, called the Sea Islands Hurricane, killed an estimated 1,500 people and Lachicotte’s surely would have been part of that tragic number.

October 1954 found Bill Collins and his new bride honeymooning on the island.

Around 5 AM Bill heard a knock at their door.

Too early to be anything unimportant, Bill answered the door.

Before him stood a man in rumpled gray clothing and a gray hat which hid his features. He said that the Red Cross had sent him to tell them to leave because a big storm was coming.

Bill could smell salty brine on the man’s clothing and heard the urgency in his voice.

Suddenly the man in gray disappeared leaving Bill stunned and shaken.

Bill and his new wife left the island and Hurricane Hazel struck soon after as a Category 4 storm. Hazel eventually killed 95 people and destroyed 15,000 homes.

September 19, 1989 residents of Pawleys Island, Clara and Jack Moore were walking along the beach.

They saw a man dressed all in gray suddenly appear among the dunes. He approached them, then vanished.

This was warning enough for Clara. She and Jack packed bags and fled inland. Two days later Hurricane Hugo struck the coast as a Category 4 storm killing 76 people along its path and causing $10 Billion in damage.

Often when the Gray Man is seen the homes of his audience will be left completely untouched by the storm while the neighboring homes are decimated.

Is the Gray Man somehow protecting these homes? If his warnings were not heeded, would the homes and residents truly be destroyed?

For people who have seen the Gray Man it is without question - he came to warn them and if they hadn’t listened their lives would’ve been taken by the storm.

Source 'Unsolved Mysteries'
Link : Ghosts in Pawleys Island!
Welcome, Fortean! Nice article. One I haven't seen before for sure. If you need any assistance here on site, or have any questions, just let me know. Happy to have you join us. :)

Sydney, Sunday -MEMBERS of the crew claim that the ! ghost of a' headless Nazi soldier in uniform walks the decks of the Norwegian ship Templar at night.

The ghost is seen most often in .the sick bay and forecastle, they say.

It has spoken to them in the dead of night, then turned and marched away to the nearest, cabin.

At other' times the crew have heard rattling noises, in various parts of the' ship, which is in Newcastle harbor.

They are reluctant'to visit some parts of the vessel at night.

First Mate Folkman said that the crew often showed fear when ordered to the sick bay or the forecastle.

"They say they have seen a headless ghost, but I won't believe it until I see the ghost," he said.

"Sailors at sen are very superstitious.

But Bosun Johansin said that he saw the ghost a few months ago while sleeping in the sick bay.

"I heard a German voice, and then a headless soldier walked into the sick bay from the bathroom," he said.

Johansin said the ghost was that of one of the Germans who died aboard the ship during the war.

The Germans seized ? the Templar when they overran Norway during the war, and used the ship for minelaying.

*Source : Newspapers: The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957 monday 05 nov. 1951 Page 1 "Headless Nazi haunts ship"

Reactions: Debi
Allotriophagy vomiting or disgorgement of strange or foul objects, usually associated with someone possessed by or obsessed with the Devil or other demons .

Such actions also once were seen as illusions or spells caused by witches or as attempts at suicide by the mentally deranged. most treatises on pos- session written during the renaissance and later included the vomiting of unusual objects as an indication that the Devil had entered a person’s body.

The objects vomited by the victim could be anything from live animals, such as toads, snakes, worms or butterflies, to pieces of iron, nails, small files, pins, needles, feathers, stones, cloth, shards of glass, hair, seaweed or foam.

Simon Goulart, a 15th-century historian, tells of a young girl whose abdomen continually swelled as if she were pregnant.

Upon receiving drugs, the girl began vom- iting a huge mass of hair, food, wax, long iron nails and brass needles.

In another account, Goulart says a man named William, succumbing to the fervent prayers of his master’s wife, Judith, began vomiting the entire front part of a pair of shepherd’s trousers, a serge jacket, stones, a woman’s peruke (hairpiece), spools of thread, needles and a peacock feather.

William claimed that the Devil had placed the items in his throat.

Finally, Goulart relates the case of 30 children in Amsterdam in 1566 who became frenzied, vomiting pins, needles, thimbles, bits of cloth and pieces of broken jugs and glass.

Efforts by doctors, exorcists and sorcerers had no effect, and the children suffered recurrent attacks.

Source: [PDF] The Encyclopedia of Witches, Witchcraft and Wicca
Link : http://qaz.am/CQ581

There was a Manor House in Oxenby England that was haunted by a phantom cat.

Although I love this story, I have been unable to discover whether the house that was haunted is still standing.

I have read some information that says the old manor house no longer stands, although without travelling I can't confirm this.

The house at Oxenby was haunted by a very strange and terrible ghost.

According to one former resident, the house was haunted by a huge black cat.

The first time the black cat was seen it crept towards the owner.

It was horribly disfigured. One of its eyes and hind legs were missing.

It crawled up to the owner and collapse at the owners feet, fading into the mist.

The next day the woman's brother died.

The cat reappeared two years later.

The cat was bleeding and appeared to be dying.

It finally fell to the ground and vanished. The next day the woman's mother died of a stroke.

The cat appeared one final time four years later. It appeared and vanished as usual and the following evening the woman's father died.

Source: Ghost Stories and Haunted Places: The Mutilated Cat Ghost

For a two month period, until they finally moved out, a family endured the sounds of a cat in terrible pain.

At one point, the lady of the house was found unconscious - she said she had encountered a headless cat which pawed at her legs.

Location: Manchester (Lancashire) - Private house along Lower Seedley Road, Seedley

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Circa late nineteenth century

Source : https://goo.gl/0CK0OJ

Several guards stationed at the barracks reported the ghost of a headless woman,

which rose from the ground in front of them wearing a stripy dress.

The figure then set off towards the park.

Location: Wellington Somerset England Barracks, and St James Park Date / Time: 1804 Type: Haunting Manifestation
Source : headless ghosts in the uk, from the paranormal database

It was in 2011 i had a dream where I was walking around on a cloudy day, and just as I thought it was going to start to rain, giant oranges started falling from the sky.

I fled the area and tried to get into my house, but it was blocked by a huge pile of giant oranges.

Then all of a sudden, every person outside turned into a giant orange.

It was terrifying.

Source : by Kaitlin Lang -Stanford, CA

Link : Giant Oranges!!! (S&D)

2008 -This story takes place seven years ago. This story is very true and it was a very scary experience for us. All of us.

My husband and I had the VHS of Nightmare On Elm Street Part One. His little sister Steph,who was eight, loved that movie.

She would watch it every chance she got. Not that we ever complained, we’re horror movie freaks! That movie is my husband’s favorite!

One night we all watched the movie together and then went to bed. My mother in law, Mary Ann, is very light sleeper.

This is due to her two sons sneaking off in her car at night. She heard soft faint noises that awoke her.

She opened her eyes to see Steph sitting at the foot of her bed singing the famous “One, Two, Freddy’s coming for you” song. She was singing in a clear voice now.
My mother in law thought Steph was trying to scare her for a second, but such things are not in her nature.

When Steph had finished the song both her and Mary Ann heard in a very clear scary Freddy Krueger voice, “Freddy’s Here!”

Then in a terrified weeping voice Steph called out “Mary Ann!”
My mother in law leapt up to grab hold of Steph and pulled her towards herself. The room got very quiet and still.

After my mother in law comforted Steph she went into the kitchen to calm her nerves and try to rationalize what had just occurred. My husband and I, being nosey, went to see why she was awake so late.

She was pale and shaky when we entered the kitchen. Her eyes were huge and she just didn’t look right. I ran to her and asked what was wrong. I thought she had a nightmare.

She told us what had happened to her and Steph. She swore the voice was not Steph’s.

She knew what she had heard and it scared her. We were all startled. Just hearing the tone of her voice frightened us.

It was so sure. I knew better than to doubt her.

She was not the type of woman to play games with this type of stuff.

Just as she was finished telling us about her experience the lights went black in the kitchen.
We all jumped.

My heart was racing. I didn’t know what was going on. In the darkness we all reached for each other.

I found some courage from somewhere deep down inside and said in a calm voice “I bet the breaker just jumped.”

They sent me outside to see if the breaker did indeed jump. It was pitch black outside and I was all alone.

I ran to breaker as fast as my legs could go. The breaker did not jump. My heart felt like it was giving out.
I turned the breaker off and turned it back on and thank God the light in the kitchen turned on.

I turned and ran as fast as I could towards the door.

We just stayed awake all night and talked about what had happened.

The next day we asked Steph what she remembered.

She remembered it all. She still does to this day.

Steph swears that it was Freddy Krueger’s voice. She knows he was there.

And to this day she will not watch any of his movies either.

Written by Angelica Olvera, 2008

Source: True Ghost Tales

Source : http://qaz.am/YbS2y