Foods that you didn't think you'd like

Discussion in 'Owl's Nest' started by TonyM, Feb 11, 2019.

1. stormhorse

stormhorse
    Expand Collapse

2. WitchAndShaman

WitchAndShaman
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

Noble, if the restaurant severed only stuff rabbit, then it could be called "Hollow Hare".

3. Paintman

Paintman
    Expand Collapse
    Go Go White Sox !
    Tier-1 Mod

I had bear in a restaurant once, it was served up like a small steak. OK, I guess, but I wish I would have ordered something else. Every year for about 15 years, on the day after Thanksgiving ,a group of us would go to Central Illinois and hunt pheasant and grouse. So everyone had a freezer full and I got to try the birds several different ways. Tastes like chicken thighs, but a little gamey. A roasted Cornish game hen is really good. It's like getting your own personal pan size chicken.:)

I really tried to like fish and crustaceans and other swimming things. Not for me. I do like lightly fried perch boned & buttered. Heavily battered Whitefish is okay 2.

I really like delis:). But anything made from smelly organ meat is not for me:(. Why would somebody eat that when there was a fabulous pastrami available?
    I'm not very adventuresome.

4. Curator

Curator
    Expand Collapse

Red Velvet Cake. Because it was Red.
    I refused to eat that thing for years! Turns out it's pretty good. HAHA

5. garnetsilver

garnetsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

Brussels Sprouts! My mother always overcooked them until they were tough and bitter, and I hated them. When I learned how to steam them, and serve lightly buttered, I was hooked. Then I tried roasted with bacon, and roasted with other veggies. I couldn't live without them now.

Another veggie I couldn't stand was collard greens. I thought they smelled awful when cooking, too. And then I learned that you didn't have to boil them, and I tried a recipe where you saute them in oil, with garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and raisins. Delicious!

6. Mokey

Mokey
    Expand Collapse
    Magically Delicious

I am never going to get that comment out of my head for the rest of the day. And the reason why unfortunately is because in my mind I am trying to imagine what that would even be like.. and I can't stop and it's really disturbing LOL

7. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Truth seeker
    Tier-1 Mod

I agree Brussel sprouts are best done in the oven. I cut them in halves and sprinkle with seasoning. I like salt and pepper. Roast them with a little olive or grape seed oil and they are delish.

8. WitchAndShaman

WitchAndShaman
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

Garnet and Lynne, count me in on Team B. Sprouts.

Lynne likes this.
  9. WitchAndShaman

WitchAndShaman
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

I don’t like (internal) organ meats either - at least not as a main dish - and I have tried most of them. I do love liver wurst. But as for a slab of liver...nopey. Well, one friend’s Mom did make a killer liver pita sandwich with the liver sautéed in red wine with onions and lots of herbs. But other than that...nopey again.

#39 WitchAndShaman, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Lynne likes this.
  10. WitchAndShaman

WitchAndShaman
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

Paint, don’t be a fish hater. What did our fine finned friends ever do to you!?

I gotta ask, do you like McDonalds’ Filet o’ Fish sandwich or the infamous fish sticks?

Lynne and Mokey like this.