Foods that you didn't think you'd like

Oh, need to be humbled here. In high school I used to help my GFs family raise rabbits for food.

Once we made sweet-and-sour rabbit and asked our friends to try it. We only told them what the protein was after everyone told us they really liked it.

Hey! There’s a hare in my lo mein!”

I like rabbit but don't have it very often

I love rabbit! When I was in High School, one of the best restaurants to take a date was "Hare Hollow". The rabbit was divine.

My first experience with rabbit was in a restaurant in Barcelona. There was no menu you ate what they did that night and helped yourself to wine from huge barrels and was free.

The rabbit came in a basket chopped up and cooked on the bone, that was it. The restaurant was in some sort of cavern with sawdust on the floor and the only lighting was candles and one of the best experiences of my life.

My wife's family were farmers who hunted and trapped on their large property very regularly. If they killed something, they would eat it. Squirrel, possum, raccoon, beaver, muskrat, rattlesnake, fox, groundhog, rabbit, turtle, feral pig, etc., I never knew what to expect when we visited. Can't honestly say I really liked any of the critters set before me at dinner, but the only thing they ever served I couldn't eat was possum. It was very greasy and had an offputting smell.

My wife's family were farmers who hunted and trapped on their large property very regularly. If they killed something, they would eat it. Squirrel, possum, raccoon, beaver, muskrat, rattlesnake, fox, groundhog, rabbit, turtle, feral pig, etc., I never knew what to expect when we visited. Can't honestly say I really liked any of the critters set before me at dinner, but the only thing they ever served I couldn't eat was possum. It was very greasy and had an offputting smell.

Most of the world world would be nauseated by the average British breakfast. Rattlesnake really? Did it taste like chicken like in the movies?

Reactions: Mokey
Most of the world world would be nauseated by the average British breakfast. Rattlesnake really? Did it taste like chicken like in the movies?

I've eaten a good number of full English/Irish breakfasts over the years. I'm just not much into fried food, especially early in the morning.

The rattlesnake they served was lightly breaded and pan fried. It reminded me more of whitefish than chicken, not much favor in and of itself. It was tough with lots of tiny bones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mokey
Is it not a bit like lamb?

It was "jerk goat" and it looked like it had been butchered with a sledgehammer. Either that or the poor old goat had stepped on a landmine. Jagged shards and splinters of bone, squishy meat and all covered with a wet green powder the color of sweeping compound. And it smelled like cigarettes and unwashed feet.