Floating sphere of smoke

Eddie_1878

Reaction score
Hi guys, I thought I’d share an experience I had a few years ago to see if it’s a common thing or explainable?

When I say a few years ago it was about 9 years ago now that I think!

I was serving in the British army at the time and had driven back to barracks that night from my home, approx 240 miles away. I think I arrived about 0100 and must’ve got into bed around 0130.

I fell asleep and was awoken by the fire alarm! It couldn’t have been long after I’d fallen asleep but I was well away. The loudness of the alarm woke me abruptly so my eyes were open in an instant.

To my shock there was a football (soccer!) sized sphere/orb floating about 2 feet away from my bed, approx 3 feet off the ground. I can still see it clear as day. The room was dark but it seemed to have a dark blue/purple colour and didn’t omit any light, but seemed to have little zaps of electricity in it, almost like mini lightning bolts.

The shape itself was a perfect sphere and it looked like a cloud as it’s surface was moving around slightly, although the orb itself wasn’t moving at all. I darted my eyes around my room just to make sure it wasn’t something wrong with my vision, the object didn’t move with my line of sight.

I was almost paralysed as I watched it for 10 seconds or so, trying to figure out what I was looking at. It was a bit of a shock but I wasn’t afraid, more intrigued.

Eventually I sat up to get closer to it and as soon as I did it moved away slowly and disappeared straight through the room door/wall always moving at the same speed.

As anyone would I tried to explain it away at the time and the next day. I’ve woken up abruptly a few times over the years and have never experienced anything in my vision. Not only that but if it was a vision issue/hallucination, it would’ve stayed in the centre of my sight. Atleast that’s the conclusion I’ve come to.

I still wonder if driving for 4+ Hours in the dark prior, to my going asleep later than usual was a factor? But again I’m not really up to speed on the science behind waking up suddenly and potential effects on the brain and sight.

What still strikes me is how vivid and detailed it was. Nothing like when you stare at a bright light too long and it stays in your vision for a while, as a white blob. It was as I described above. I suppose like a mini-planet only more textured with the cloud like movement and zaps of electricity. It moving away when I sat up seems strange too...it didn’t change in appearance at all whilst I watched from waking up until it disappeared through a solid door/wall (it went through the door frame).

Anyway that was it! I’m curious to see if anyone’s experienced anything like that before or even read about a similar experience? A google search only returns stories and articles about photo orbs...which are probably just dust MOST of the time! This was nothing like that.

Thanks for reading!

Hi guys, I thought I’d share an experience I had a few years ago to see if it’s a common thing or explainable?

I was serving in the British army at the time and had driven back to barracks that night from my home, approx 240 miles away. I think I arrived about 0100 and must’ve got into bed around 0130.

I fell asleep and was awoken by the fire alarm! It couldn’t have been long after I’d fallen asleep but I was well away. The loudness of the alarm woke me abruptly so my eyes were open in an instant.

To my shock there was a football (soccer!) sized sphere/orb floating about 2 feet away from my bed, approx 3 feet off the ground. I can still see it clear as day. The room was dark but it seemed to have a dark blue/purple colour and didn’t omit any light, but seemed to have little zaps of electricity in it, almost like mini lightning bolts.

The shape itself was a perfect sphere and it looked like a cloud as it’s surface was moving around slightly, although the orb itself wasn’t moving at all. I darted my eyes around my room just to make sure it wasn’t something wrong with my vision, the object didn’t move with my line of sight.

I was almost paralysed as I watched it for 10 seconds or so, trying to figure out what I was looking at. It was a bit of a shock but I wasn’t afraid, more intrigued.

Eventually I sat up to get closer to it and as soon as I did it moved away slowly and disappeared straight through the room door/wall always moving at the same speed.

As anyone would I tried to explain it away at the time and the next day. I’ve woken up abruptly a few times over the years and have never experienced anything in my vision. Not only that but if it was a vision issue/hallucination, it would’ve stayed in the centre of my sight. Atleast that’s the conclusion I’ve come to.

I still wonder if driving for 4+ Hours in the dark prior, to my going asleep later than usual was a factor? But again I’m not really up to speed on the science behind waking up suddenly and potential effects on the brain and sight.

What still strikes me is how vivid and detailed it was. Nothing like when you stare at a bright light too long and it stays in your vision for a while, as a white blob. It was as I described above. I suppose like a mini-planet only more textured with the cloud like movement and zaps of electricity. It moving away when I sat up seems strange too...it didn’t change in appearance at all whilst I watched from waking up until it disappeared through a solid door/wall (it went through the door frame).

Anyway that was it! I’m curious to see if anyone’s experienced anything like that before or even read about a similar experience? A google search only returns stories and articles about photo orbs...which are probably just dust MOST of the time! This was nothing like that.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome Eddie! Cool story, thanks for sharing it.

I have a couple questions. First was there any smell associated with the event? You mentioned being in a barracks. Was this an open bay barracks, or one with multiple individual rooms? If the latter, how many soldiers per room? To your knowledge, did anyone else see this? If the barracks were being evacuated due to the fire alarm and the ball went through the door into the corridor, someone might have seen it.

Thanks for reading!
Welcome, Eddie. Well, you may have stumped me on this one, but going back to the fire alarm for a clue. Now, smoke or humidity can set those off. As can ball lightening. What were the weather conditions at the time?

Eddie - like your time comparison 9 to 35!

i must admit, I’ve not experienced that. But, I’m reading...intrigue.

Welcome to the PNF too.

This thing may have been a probe of some sort. It didn’t move until it detected movement in the room. Or whatever it was it may have not been sentient but only reacted to the change in the environment when you moved. This is a good one, it was lit but did not create illumination in the room. Would you say it glowed? Thanks for adding to the list of weird encounters here.

Reactions: garnetsilver
This thing may have been a probe of some sort. It didn’t move until it detected movement in the room. Or whatever it was it may have not been sentient but only reacted to the change in the environment when you moved. This is a good one, it was lit but did not create illumination in the room. Would you say it glowed? Thanks for adding to the list of weird encounters here.
That was my first thought, too. That sounded like some kind of probe.

Reactions: Lynne