Flight/Planes

BBC News - Plane ditches in ocean during Florida airshow
OMG! Well, the pilot did a great job with that. The water is shallow enough to walk off the plane and to the beach! How he missed everybody in the water is a miracle.

Reactions: Lynne and Duke
An amazing outcome.

I am reminded of that Hawaiian flight decades ago where a section of the fuselage blew out. It landed safely but an attendant was sucked out and fell to her death.

An amazing outcome.

I am reminded of that Hawaiian flight decades ago where a section of the fuselage blew out. It landed safely but an attendant was sucked out and fell to her death.
That 737 had a structural failure caused by metal fatigue brought on by repeated pressurization cycles. One of the most famous photos of an aircraft damaged, but still flying after a mid-air, is this of a B-17 rammed by a German fighter in WWII.

050524-F-1234P-015-640x395.jpg

Reactions: Lynne
Duke will the plane that landed in the water be salvageable ? What a perfect emergency landing.

Duke will the plane that landed in the water be salvageable ? What a perfect emergency landing.
Yes, it can be salvaged and put back in the air. The issue is the cost to do that. These warbird are extremely expensive to insure, so a number of them are self insured.

The Kalamazoo Air Zoo, once one of the world's best flyable a/c air museums, had to quite flying their warbirds because it was too expensive to insure them. I used to go up there at least once a year.

Yes, it can be salvaged and put back in the air. The issue is the cost to do that. These warbird are extremely expensive to insure, so a number of them are self insured.

The Kalamazoo Air Zoo, once one of the world's best flyable a/c air museums, had to quite flying their warbirds because it was too expensive to insure them. I used to go up there at least once a year.
Thanks , I knew you’d know about it.

I have always wanted to do flying lessons, but they are too expensive for me. I have jumped from quite a few perfectly working planes in the past as a parachutist, though......

I have flown in helicopters (Lynx, Puma, Wessex and Chinook), and been on commercial jets three times to go on holiday, but it is not the same as having your own freedom in the air.

Might have to compromise and go down the microlight route.....