Flight/Planes

This was what I was alluding to yesterday. Turbine/fan blades breaking loose and getting sucked into an engine can be catastrophic.
Blades will break/detach for a number of reasons, including manufacturing, installation, and maintenance issues.

After a similar incident back in the 90s, we (USAF and the engine manufacturer) determined a certain production lot of blades had been improperly heat treated in their manufacturing process.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I've seen the Guppy in flight a couple of times, it's weird looking due to its fuselage being disproportionate to the overall a/c. The paint scheme of the aircraft, the bulbous upper fuselage being natural, polished aluminum and the lower part painted white, makes that not-to-scale image even more pronounced.

Reactions: Debi
It does look like a ufo ! I can see how this could cause false reports.

Interesting science project, but where is the market/customer base? No airline or charter operator is going to invest money into aircraft like this until made to do so by law. For example, you didn't see anyone paying for non-CFC halon or refrigerant replacements until required by law.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi