Flight/Planes

In the 70's I was on a plane flying west from the east coast, sitting by the window over the wing. One of the engines caught fire and I pushed the stewardess button, when she came I told her what I saw and she leaned over and closed the shutter on my window and told me to be quiet and not worry. But then she almost ran to the cockpit. The plane had another engine so we made it ok.
What a scary moment to see that! Stewardess’ don’t get enough credit. They put up with a lot and can be pressed heroic action at times.

Video showing two different Russian Ka-52 helicopter gunships shot down by the Ukrainians. The Ka-52 is unique in that it is the first and only operational helicopter in the world to have an aircrew escape system. They are not traditional ejection seats, however.

The Ka-52 uses a tractor rocket system where the crewmember is pulled out of the cockpit by a stand alone rocket attached to his/her harness by a bungee. The rocket fires after linear shape charges sever the blades and fracture the canopy transparencies.

The Russians borrowed the design from the 1960s "Yankee" system developed for low speed a/c like the A-1, T-28, and B-26 for use in SEA. It's a cool concept, and was very effective on those aircraft.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi

Video showing two different Russian Ka-52 helicopter gunships shot down by the Ukrainians. The Ka-52 is unique in that it is the first and only operational helicopter in the world to have an aircrew escape system. They are not traditional ejection seats, however.

The Ka-52 uses a tractor rocket system where the crewmember is pulled out of the cockpit by a stand alone rocket attached to his/her harness by a bungee. The rocket fires after linear shape charges sever the blades and fracture the canopy transparencies.

The Russians borrowed the design from the 1960s "Yankee" system developed for low speed a/c like the A-1, T-28, and B-26 for use in SEA. It's a cool concept, and was very effective on those aircraft.

Thanks Duke. This is the most interesting thread. I have learned a lot on airplanes.

Sad news. I never got a chance to see the An-225, although we we both in Ireland at the same time in 2006. I was in Belfast when it came into Shannon.

Sad news. I never got a chance to see the An-225, although we we both in Ireland at the same time in 2006. I was in Belfast when it came into Shannon.
I just read about that plane two days ago! Dang it...they're just blowing up everything. :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: Duke
Can't remember what flight it was. I believe it was when i was going to Wyoming. But either way, we were taxi'ing and looking out my window i saw another planes converging towards my plane. Was thinking hmm...this doesn't seem...then our plane slams on the breaks and pretty much everyone onboard flew forward. lol Ooops...Somebody wasn't paying attention.

Reactions: Lynne

The article said they planned to fix it? Is that even safe?