Flight/Planes

One of the first mishap investigations I supported was an F-16 striking wild boar while landing in Florida. The pilot was forced to eject and the aircraft was destroyed. The Pakistanis lost an F-16 to wild boars as well, but on takeoff.

Fire photon torpedoes?

It isn't clear to me how the laser is supposed to destroy/disable incoming missiles. I doubt they are designed to vaporize them like we've seen in the movies, more likely the laser is meant to disable or fry missile tracking/guidance systems. Air to air missiles are either radar guided or use an infrared detector to hone in on an aircraft's exhaust. Using a laser to blind an IR seeker is pretty straightforward, taking out the radar would probably be done by overloading or burning out the radar signal processing system.

Reactions: Lynne

If four of us go together, for $25 each we can put down a deposit on the future of automated air travel. Who's with me?

Reactions: Debi
Wow it really came on them fast! I was shocked to see that. I pictured a leisurely floating balloon off in the distance. This was scary.

Reactions: Debi