Flight/Planes

4K-AZ82.jpg

If it was a tire that got sucked into an engine, must have been from the nose gear. The main gear is behind the engines as can be seen on this photo of a 767-300.

Reactions: Debi

That's scary.

In the early 80s I flew into Patrick Henry Airport in Newport News, VA in extremely windy conditions. The aircraft was a Piedmont Commuter Shorts 330 Skyvan, not so affectionately know as the "Flying Shoebox" due to its rectangular fuselage. We were all over the sky coming into land, it was and still remains the most frightening flight I've ever been on. What made it even more unnerving was the Baptist women's group singing "Amazing Grace" as we made our descent.

5163544237_e3cfc8fc9c_b.jpg

Reactions: Debi
What made it even more unnerving was the Baptist women's group singing "Amazing Grace" as we made our descent.
Now that right there would have had me over the edge...:eek:

I see these vids and have to give these pilots an immense amount of credit for getting these planes down safely. I would have thought flights would be cancelled during that kind of storm!

Reactions: Duke and TonyM
I was on a 727 that lost an engine.

It was back in the late 1960s-early 70s. I was flying from Iowa enroute to Oakland, California with my brother. Before boarding we were watching our plane taxi up to the boarding dock and noticed some flames shooting out of the front of one of engines. Something I'd never seen before. We were hesitant but boarded the plane and a short while later while at cruising altitude we felt the plane suddenly dropping repeatedly. Then the captain announced, "We've lost #2 engine and will be doing an emergency landing at Denver Airport."

On final approach to Denver we were flying extremely low. It seemed we weren't more than about 50 feet at times. I remember passing a cow pasture and clearly seeing cows watching us pass and we weren't much higher than they were! I looked forward and could see the start of the runway and it was actually above us at one point. The pilot had to pull up to gain altitude before touching down on the runway. Sheesh!

Anyway, we landed without incident and all was well. Whew!

727.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke
I was on a 727 that lost an engine.

It was back in the late 1960s-early 70s. I was flying from Iowa enroute to Oakland, California with my brother. Before boarding we were watching our plane taxi up to the boarding dock and noticed some flames shooting out of the front of one of engines. Something I'd never seen before. We were hesitant but boarded the plane and a short while later while at cruising altitude we felt the plane suddenly dropping repeatedly. Then the captain announced, "We've lost #2 engine and will be doing an emergency landing at Denver Airport."

On final approach to Denver we were flying extremely low. It seemed we weren't more than about 50 feet at times. I remember passing a cow pasture and clearly seeing cows watching us pass and we weren't much higher than they were! I looked forward and could see the start of the runway and it was actually above us at one point. The pilot had to pull up to gain altitude before touching down on the runway. Sheesh!

Anyway, we landed without incident and all was well. Whew!

727.jpg

If you have to lose an engine, your a/c lost the right/best one. A lost engine along the longitudinal axis won't result in adverse yaw.

Reactions: TonyM
NASA's experimental X-59 supersonic jet could be built by the end of 2020 | Space

TgEFkQVrJgscCHLu2zSasY-320-80.jpg

NASA's new experimental supersonic X-plane is on a fast track to flying.

The plane, officially named X-59 QueSST in 2018 and often referred to as just X-59, was greenlit for final assembly during a critical design review in 2019. With this plane, NASA aims to create an ultraquiet craft that can travel over land faster than the speed of sound.

In 2020, Lockheed Martin, which NASA commissioned to build the plane, plans to mate the aircraft and completely finish the building process by the end of the year, a company representative told Space.com. "It's moving very fast on the shop floor in terms of manufacturing and production," the company said.

Reactions: TonyM