Flash Memories

Being the oldest of five, my parents didn't have much time for me by the time the rest of the herd came along. I was pretty much on my own by age 10. I never really got along with my parents after that anyway and definitely didn't get along with my siblings. All of them were too busy fighting with each other so I just kept to myself. Didn't spend much time at home at all.

Probably the biggest reason I only had one child myself, a large family seemed like a stupid idea. My daughter got all my time. At least I did that right.

I don't think my flash memories are associated with nostalgia, but of course I can't say that with any certainty. There just wasn't a lot to be nostalgic about.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Being the oldest of five, my parents didn't have much time for me by the time the rest of the herd came along. I was pretty much on my own by age 10. I never really got along with my parents after that anyway and definitely didn't get along with my siblings. All of them were too busy fighting with each other so I just kept to myself. Didn't spend much time at home at all.

Probably the biggest reason I only had one child myself, a large family seemed like a stupid idea. My daughter got all my time. At least I did that right.

I don't think my flash memories are associated with nostalgia, but of course I can't say that with any certainty. There just wasn't a lot to be nostalgic about.
I think it sounds like you’re pretty sure it’s a paranormal event. I don’t doubt it. You are the best measure of this.

Reactions: GoneWestUtah
Lynne, I'm really not sure, but it just doesn't feel like old memories that suddenly came back (in the conventional sense that is more familiar to me), and it's not really a specific memory, more of just being somewhere/when else.
I can't discount the effects of aging, however. My paternal grandfather developed dementia and I'm just about at the age he was when he started experiencing symptoms, so I'm keeping an eye on that with my doctor.
It would be terrific if it were some kind of paranormal event, though. All I can do is experience it when it happens, whatever the cause. But if a wormhole opens, I just might try and jump through! :)

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Lynne, I'm really not sure, but it just doesn't feel like old memories that suddenly came back (in the conventional sense that is more familiar to me), and it's not really a specific memory, more of just being somewhere/when else.
I can't discount the effects of aging, however. My paternal grandfather developed dementia and I'm just about at the age he was when he started experiencing symptoms, so I'm keeping an eye on that with my doctor.
It would be terrific if it were some kind of paranormal event, though. All I can do is experience it when it happens, whatever the cause. But if a wormhole opens, I just might try and jump through! :)
I understand the aging fears. I am 60 myself and pray the golden years are kind. Keep us updated on the events.

Reactions: GoneWestUtah
I've had more and more flash memories lately, rather like deja-vu except it's much more fleeting and more intense. A sudden awareness that it's 50 years in the past- for just a moment, then suddenly I'm back in 2021.

The last incident happened Saturday. Standing in the upstairs bathroom, about to walk out, suddenly I'm twelve years old and standing in my dad's garage. Then POOF! and I'm back in the upstairs bathroom again. Whole episode lasted just a fraction of a second.

I used to experience these once or twice a year, lately it's been one or two per week. As if I'm hurtling toward some kind of convergence. Or is my "world line" crossing over itself repeatedly, thus the moments of awareness of other times?

As humans living in Newtonian space, we experience time in a linear fashion. There is "before", "now", and "after". We exist in the "now". I've often wondered if beings in other dimensions have similar constraints. Or can a spirit exist in all moments simultaneously? What would it be like on a human mind to experience such a thing, if it's even possible?

Waiting to see how this plays out. Of course it can all easily be psychological brain artifacts. If so, at least it's an entertaining disease... ;)
I think I read somewhere in a book about quantum physics, that there is a theory that says the past, present and future all coexist. Everything that has happened, is happening and will happen are all out there. We just can't access anything but the present (yet) because, as you say, we experience time in a linear fashion.

Reactions: Lynne
I think I read somewhere in a book about quantum physics, that there is a theory that says the past, present and future all coexist. Everything that has happened, is happening and will happen are all out there. We just can't access anything but the present (yet) because, as you say, we experience time in a linear fashion.
I think this theory is correct , and would explain a lot of paranormal activity however my brain can’t handle the process.

Three weeks and no new experiences. This has been a long dry spell.

Life has been pretty hectic lately, I haven't had any time for quiet reflection in... three weeks? Hmmm...

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I had one yesterday. Standing in my garage one moment, then for a fraction of a second I was in my grandparent's back yard sometime in the mid 1960's, then back in my garage. No lost time that I could document. Felt a tad dizzy afterwards, first time I recall that feeling after an instance.

Reactions: Lynne
I find this topic very interesting. I have something like this daily. It's a bit different though. Everyday I have random 'pictures' come up in my mind of my past. Some are when I was a child, some as an adult. And most often they are the same pictures over & over again. I would say maybe 10 or so pictures. I can see myself very clearly as a 4 year old, 10 yr old, 30 yr old etc.

I know this isn't the same as actually 'feeling' being right there at a particular place.

This all reminds me of a show from the 1990's called Quantum Leap.