Flash Memories

Correct, Lynne. For an instant, I feel as if I'm actually standing in the past, and then I'm back again. No lost time, it's not a memory or a memory trigger like an odor. It only lasts a fraction of a second. No lights or other special effects. It's as if one or two frames of a movie were replaced with frames from much earlier in the film.

As I said in the original post, while this is very intriguing, I'm not convinced yet that it's not a psychological effect, i.e., "wishful thinking" or somesuch.

Would be fantastic if it's real.
Thanks for clarifying. Keep us posted if you have anymore experiences.

I had another one yesterday but it was just a tad different, there was no visual component or visual "snapshot" accompanying the feeling, but for an instant I was back around 1970, launching a model rocket in the grass at about age 11 or 12. I could smell the grass, the burnt rocket igniter. I haven't smelled rocket-motor odors in nearly a half century. I even felt the warm sunshine on my face for the briefest of moments.

What I see is from a perspective of being there in that time. It only lasts a brief second or two, but I have managed to extend that time like fastforwarding a film and can slow down to view some items in detail. I see the whole scene and not just ghost images.
These are not from my present timeline though, and are triggered from the place I am in.

Something might be triggering these occurrence across a large group. I’m not (yet?) experiencing the powerful backward remembrances that most of you are reporting. But as I told Debi on the 25th, I seem to be having a rash of what many refer to as deja vu. Most recently last night. This is worth sharing because of the timing aligning with your occurrences as I’ve been essentially “free” from that experience for nearly 15 years.

I had another one yesterday but it was just a tad different, there was no visual component or visual "snapshot" accompanying the feeling, but for an instant I was back around 1970, launching a model rocket in the grass at about age 11 or 12. I could smell the grass, the burnt rocket igniter. I haven't smelled rocket-motor odors in nearly a half century. I even felt the warm sunshine on my face for the briefest of moments.
This is amazing. Is there any take away from the experiences for you. Do you think there is a reason you’re getting this experience? Can you associate a possible trigger? Thanks for the update

Reactions: GoneWestUtah
I have no idea, Lynne. They all seem to take me back to a care-free time of life, when anything was possible and life hadn't started to grind me down yet. So it could just be wishful thinking or some kind of coping mechanism kicking-in on my brain's part, though I still hope that it's paranormal in nature. All I can do at present is just experience the episodes as they happen.

I have no idea, Lynne. They all seem to take me back to a care-free time of life, when anything was possible and life hadn't started to grind me down yet. So it could just be wishful thinking or some kind of coping mechanism kicking-in on my brain's part, though I still hope that it's paranormal in nature. All I can do at present is just experience the episodes as they happen.
I think the paranormal is just science we haven’t figured out yet. Looking at things tog help us fit tog the pieces of the puzzle. I think it’s good you look at the events closely from every angle. There is something there for you. Are you keeping a log on them? Recording as much as you can remember including how and what you were thinking before and after. You may see a pattern.

Reactions: GoneWestUtah
To me, and from what you are describing, it sounds like what you are experiencing is a classic case of Cryptomnesia.

To me, and from what you are describing, it sounds like what you are experiencing is a classic case of Cryptomnesia.

That is entirely possible. It's so vivid though, unlike other "standard" memories. It takes my breath away when it happens.

I've always assumed that this was just a part of getting old. My past is a lot more interesting at this point than my probable future. When you are young you are always looking forwards to tomorrow but when you get older you do seem to think more into the past. I've had my parents who are long passed in my mind a lot lately. I catch myself thinking that I need to ask them something or tell them about something and then realize the truth. I was fortunate in that as adults my parents became my wife and my best friends. We did everything together.

Reactions: Lynne