Finding Money

If I heard that I forgot it. I just remember 'Find a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck.'
It is said that finding a penny on the ground that is tail-side up, you should leave there because it’ll bring you bad luck. If you accidentally picked it up, you can reverse the bad luck simply by placing the penny back on the ground, head-side down.

I remember another incident that happened when I was in the second grade. My sister and I were running late, and had to wait until the crossing guard could get us safely across the street.

As we waited, I noticed a dollar bill lying on the ground. From my reaction and that of my sister, the guard could tell we had found money. After we reached the opposite corner, she immediately took the dollar away from me, saying that we had to go to the principal's office to see if any child had lost their lunch money.

Of course, being kids, we were annoyed. Finders keepers and all! So after finding that no one had put in a claim for a lost dollar bill, we got to keep it. We agreed to split it. As Duke said, considering inflation, that dollar was like having over eight dollars in today's money.

I have been fortunate to have found money often. I did find someone's wallet, loaded with cash and gave it back to them when they came searching. I forget how much he gave me as a 'reward'. I have found $100 in a bank envelope, i have found $20 on the ground, $10 on the ground. I even found a 1 pound coin while i was in England lol. There were other times through childhood, but i'd say #1 time was when i ran over $1,000 in the middle of a road lol. I held onto it waiting and scanning local paper for a good week or more and nothing. I ended up giving part of it to one of my helpers at the time.

Remember the days of don't pick up a penny tails up?
I was taught if you find an coin heads up it is for you to pick up, if it is heads down you turn it over and leave it for someone else or you pick it up and immediately give it to someone.

When I was a kid my aunt lived fairly close to a private air port that only flew small planes in and out. One morning she was in the yard and a plane flew over her property then exploded and money flew everywhere. The FBI showed up and the mess was cleaned up. They made sure no one had pocketed any of the money. I guess the men in the airplane had stolen it. My cousin found the brief case it had been in broken in the corner of their property, but the FBI took that too. A week later we were playing on the edge of the yard by the horse corrals and my cousin found 100 dollar bill in a tumble weed (it was summer so the weed was huge and still growing, not dried out and rolling around). I don't know what my aunt did with that money, probably called the FBI to tell them she found more of their money.

This happened just about two month's ago.

I took the kids to the craft store Michael's. As we were walking through the parking lot there was a guy sitting in a chair, playing an accordion with a bucket at his feet and a sign saying that he was needing money to feed his family. We gave him sympathetic smiles but I don't carry cash anymore so that was about the best we could do.

Inside my daughter took off to find different kinds of yarn while my son and I looked a the model cars, model planes and various animal figurines. On the shelf with some little plastic tigers was a folded up $20 bill. My son saw it and asked what to do. He had no interest I taking money that didn't belong to him and with that large an amount someone might come looking for it. Being folded up and with animal figurines I thought that it might have been an absent minded little kid who put it down to pick up a figure and forgot about it. So we left it there but came up with a plan. When my daughter was ready to leave (which could be a while) we would check again and if the money was still there we would take it to Mr accordion outside.

So my son and I looked at other things for nearly half an hour. I kept an eye on the model aisle and at least a dozen people went through there. We checked the shelf and the $20 was still there. So my son grabbed it and as we walked out he dropped it in the guys bucket, who seemed pretty grateful.

What's the largest amount of money you've ever found? Where and under what circumstances did you find it?

What's the smallest amount of money you'd stoop down to pick up if you saw it in a parking lot? Penny? Quarter?
One dollar bill?

(Thanks to Walkinanteek for the idea.)
I think 20 dollars was the most, on a sidewalk. I will pick up a penny too lol..

That's quite the question. A goth friend and I once opened a bag which a previous curry fan had left behind (due to being drunk) and ended up being accosted in the street by curry house people afterwards and arrested. It was a Macguffin! The mystery thing which everyone is after, but nobody knows where it is. Like a cheap less stylish Maltese Falcon. In any case it was lateand there was only a police appointed lawyer available so we both (seperately of course) elected to spend the night in cells and choose our own, when they woke up.
Anyway, during questioning the interrogator pointed out that this was very serious, as I was accused of stealing... A THOUSAND POUNDS. The effect this had on me was a lot like a moment in an Austen Powers film when Doctor Evil fails to understand inflation and asks for a stupidly small amount of money. So I laughed my head off , much to his surprise and said roughly, 'A thousand pounds??? A thousand?!'
to which he replied something like, 'Yes, ONE THOUSAND POUNDS.'
To which I replied something like, (and I remember well as it was a high stress moment) 'Who told you that? I saw inside that bag! You know that from the CCTV. If you were told a thousand pounds was in there... I work with money. A bundle of tens comes in a thousand and is about this big. A bundle of twenties is smaller. Fives, five hundred each, not much bigger. This was a big bag! You can carry that in something far smaller! Do you think it was a thousand in change? The bag was full! And with fifties! $2,500 in each bag and it was nearly full of them and more, documents! You were told it was a THOUSAND???? You were right; somebody is lying to you.... but it's NOT me!' The cop was stunned and rushed off.
My friend's testimony matched mine and as neither of us had more than change on us, we were released without charge, as for what happened... I have no idea what I walked into, but I was glad to walk out again. Be glad for finding smaller amounts of money; too much is nothing but trouble. And in answer to the question... I honestly don't know.
To quote Princess Leia, 'More wealth than you can imagine.' Not that much, but Han Solo can imagine quite a bit, so maybe about that much.
I have to ask what is a curry person? I am so glad you were smart enough to give that reply. surly the arresting officers were pocketing some of that cash.

I remember being broke and went to the fish n chip shop for a couple of potato scallops, all I could afford. Someone in front dropped $20 so I stepped on it and slyly picked it up. The lady walked out and I felt bad so chased her and returned it :innocent: . My grandad found $30 000 in a case outside of a closed Kentucky chicken shop, he was an honest bloke so returned the money to the shop when opened. They rewarded him a bucket of greasy chicken:rolleyes:, he said to the manager, stick it and never ate Kentucky again.