Female Viking Warrior Grave

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Female Viking warrior's remarkable grave sheds new light on ancient society

The 10th-century grave, known as Bj. 581, was first discovered on the Swedish island of Bjorko in the late 19th century. Stunning artifacts found in the grave indicated that it belonged to a high-status Viking warrior, who, for over a century, was assumed to be male.

In 2017, however, experts published the results of a DNA analysis that revealed the skeleton was female. The amazing discovery garnered a great deal of attention and sparked plenty of debate.

DNA SHOWS VIKING REMAINS BELONG TO WOMAN

In a study published this week in the journal Antiquity, the researchers responded to critics of the original study, explaining that they analyzed the correct skeleton and that there was only one set of human remains in the grave. “The simple and secure conclusion is that we have the right individual, who was buried alone, and that this person has been proven to be biologically female,” they explained.

The experts also reiterated the woman’s warrior status. “In our opinion, Bj.581 was the grave of a woman who lived as a professional warrior and was buried in a martial environment as an individual of rank,” they wrote. “To those who do take issue, however, we suggest that it is not supportable to react only now, when the individual has been shown to be female, without explaining why neither the warrior interpretations nor any supposed source-critical factors were a problem when the person in Bj.581 was believed to be male.”

The warrior woman was buried in elaborate clothing and her grave contained a stunning array of weapons, including a sword, an ax, 25 armor-piercing arrows, a fighting knife, two lances and two spears. She was also buried with two horses, underlining her high status in Viking society.

VIKING LONGSHIP DISCOVERY THRILLS ARCHAEOLOGISTS

Intriguingly, a bag of gaming pieces was also placed in the warrior’s lap and a gaming board was propped up beside her skeleton.

VikingWarriorWoman.jpg

Full story and video here:

Female Viking warrior's remarkable grave sheds new light on ancient society

Don't know if you have seen the series 'Vikings' but its a must see.I like how women were treated as equals in every way,even on the battlefield.You wonder why that changed.Lagertha in the show is my ideal women,but she'd probably lop my head off.It must be my ancestors but I really get into that show.Hope I meet Lagertha in Valhalla one day.

Lagertha is amazing! Great show, too bad it's next year is the series finale. I also like the queen, she died too early, but another strong female character. Shows so good. I tried getting into Game of Thrones, but it doesn't have that same mystical or magical feel to it! Found they think Thor's hammer in Iceland. Sweet article.

Reactions: ozentity
I like Game of Thrones too,But as you say lacks the mystical feel that you can feel deep down,I think because Vikings is based on real characters and events in history.I think it gives white people some pride in their culture,something that is lacking in people in Australia anyway(not meaning this in a racist way)

Reactions: JohnHermes