FDA says Lab Grown Meat Safe

I'm not eating that crap. Waiting for the McRib to return. ;th

lol Sorry, bad joke. Would I try it? Yes, at some point probably. I go through my phases of eating healthy and thinking an entire pack of bacon in one sitting is the secret to life. lol Honestly, I haven't read up on any of it beyond what you posted so it's hard for me to make any type of proper assessment about it. I'd rather see the research/data from the studies; the good, bad and ugly of it. Obviously someone that wants me to consume is going to promote/sell it to me, right? That doesn't inheritly make it a bad product or whatever they're selling; merely a method to get people to listen. That doesn't mean it is good though either. So... again, just need objective data on it.

While I'm rambling (warned you all prior lol), here is my assessment on what I've seen. What are some pros? It requires an INSANE amount of resources to raise the amount of livestock that we do to support the amount of people/business we do. What's a good solution? Use our brilliance as humans to create a technology that would allow for us to create the product (still organic) with more minimal resources; all of which greatly assists with causing the environment issues we/our future gens are facing and going to face. To go deeper into that hole, it's important that our species becomes a galactic level species sooner than later and capable of surviving in space. This would potentially make it possible to create food in that type of scenario. Okay, back to this world, it would greatly assist in feeding people in the world that need it. So if we can become sustained without the damage we do and the slaughter we do to make our demands as people a reality, sure why not? If it goes what I require to survive, run it. If the day comes and people have to pick "fake meat" and eating bugs, fake meat prob will sound amazing.

Okay so the flip side to all of that. What's the cons? Beats me. Hard to say what impact it has on the human body and what other gateways does it open up for things we simply haven't thought of yet? We know evolution happens so how are we currently evolving? Maybe it has just normal ill effects on us over the course of time, as it does with many things we do. Maybe it has beneficial effects? Reality is we don't and won't know yet. So will I consume it? Yes, but I'm more of a v3 or v4 kinda guy. Let v1 and v2 work out some bugs first. :D

Because it uses stem cells and genetic engineering, I'm not touching it at this point. Here's a well-balanced article on the topic, imo. What I've been following closely is the problem with this possibly triggering cancer down the line. When you start playing with genes and bio-engineering, there is always a risk we can't see the problems until farther down the line.

Because it uses stem cells and genetic engineering, I'm not touching it at this point. Here's a well-balanced article on the topic, imo. What I've been following closely is the problem with this possibly triggering cancer down the line. When you start playing with genes and bio-engineering, there is always a risk we can't see the problems until farther down the line.

Thanks for posting up some more info! I'll check that out shortly.

Stem cells is going to truly be a blessing in the future; in my opinion. So many different things we can do with it and utilize the nature of things in interesting ways. In one hand, we could be doing something amazing that'll solve many problems, from food to organs we require sometimes for ourselves. Not to mention the things you can heal outside the food stuff with our own stem cells.

However, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a geneticist when I grew up because I was curious how people and things work. I ended up being a programming inside and work with that / AI so it's almost... kinda... the same. lol So I agree with you there. In one hand, something being genetically altered/engineer doesn't necessary mean it's bad. However, the more we map genetics out and realize what you can bend/break, there is certainly the question of how we're impacting out DNA (that which we pass on to the next humans). It all works in particular ways and so as you said, hard to know the impact until later. I suppose it's the duality of anything though, right? You can use a knife to create the best meal in the world for your guests and you can also use it to create a meal out of your guests. lol Point being, it may lead to use using genetics to solve all of the things that plague us, such as diseases and such. Or it may lead to destroy our DNA in a way that we'll no longer be us or have problems we can't fix later on.

There's another topic on cancer and some neat stuff that's coming around now. Nothing to do with this beyond cancer being mentioned so I'll post up a thread for it later. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

There's another topic on cancer and some neat stuff that's coming around now. Nothing to do with this beyond cancer being mentioned so I'll post up a thread for it later. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.
I will respectfully take a pass on the cancer thread right now, Kid.