Favorite Star Trek Series?

The ones I've watched the most were TNG and Voyager.

I did watch DS9, which actually got preachier than TNG.

As to what Gene would not allow in his scripts? Talk of God. He allowed it as Ancient Aliens and how we screwed things up by violating the Prime Directive and being seen as gods, but otherwise he had it in his contract that no God references would be allowed.

In one of the Star Trek movies, the crew met (or thought they were meeting) God. Wonder if Roddenberry changed his mind, or maybe he wasn't involved in that film? He may have been dead when that one was made?

I did watch DS9, which actually got preachier than TNG.

As to what Gene would not allow in his scripts? Talk of God.

I wonder how it is that the TOS episode which included "Apollo" got produced???

Reactions: Duke
I wonder how it is that the TOS episode which included "Apollo" got produced???

Small "g" god v. capital "G" God?

There was an episode of TOS where one of crew thanked God for Spock recovering Kirk in the transportor. Spock responded that there had been no "deity" involved, he had cross circuited the controls or some such techno babble. With that, McCoy retorted something like, "Well thank pitchforks and pointed ears......"

Small "g" god v. capital "G" God?
Gene wanted his universe set in a time of no religion, especially one of the Western variety. There are many articles out there referencing this.

Excerpt:

Apparently, actor Jason Issacs (Harry Potter, The OA, Batman) received a hard lesson on Star Trek dos and don’ts that have been practiced since Roddenberry conceived of the sci-fi series. One of the “don’ts” is simple: refrain from using God, as it is banned from scripts.

Beyer explained that the exclusion of the word God in the Star Trek franchise is a practice Gene Roddenberry put in place decades ago that focuses less on religion than on people and their impact on the universe. In short, she added, the banning of God is “not a standards and practice” issue, but is meant to parallel Roddenberry’s vision.

‘Atheist’ Gene Roddenberry’s ‘Star Trek’ Franchise Forbids The Word ‘God’: Is New ‘Discovery’ Anti-Religion?

God has been banned from ‘Star Trek: Discovery’

Playing God: Religion in Star Trek

Reactions: Benway
Gene wanted his universe set in a time of no religion, especially one of the Western variety. There are many articles out there referencing this.

Excerpt:

Apparently, actor Jason Issacs (Harry Potter, The OA, Batman) received a hard lesson on Star Trek dos and don’ts that have been practiced since Roddenberry conceived of the sci-fi series. One of the “don’ts” is simple: refrain from using God, as it is banned from scripts.

Beyer explained that the exclusion of the word God in the Star Trek franchise is a practice Gene Roddenberry put in place decades ago that focuses less on religion than on people and their impact on the universe. In short, she added, the banning of God is “not a standards and practice” issue, but is meant to parallel Roddenberry’s vision.

‘Atheist’ Gene Roddenberry’s ‘Star Trek’ Franchise Forbids The Word ‘God’: Is New ‘Discovery’ Anti-Religion?

God has been banned from ‘Star Trek: Discovery’

Playing God: Religion in Star Trek

Then Ol'Gene must have hated "Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier," the movie where Kirk, Spock, and McCoy come face-to-face with the Almighty. Check out the "Quotes" in the film's IMDB entry below to read what happens to those (in this case Kirk, then Spock) who doubt God.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) - IMDb

Reactions: Debi
Never saw any of the movies or series...saw one or two episodes of the original series. Wasn't my cup of tea.:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Benway
Reactions: Duke

Fascinating. So apparently Roddenberry banned God from any Star Trek script he himself didn't write. In fairness he wasn't the first, nor will he be the last, person to sidestep his own principles for ego and financial gain. And according to the Wiki entry, he disapproved of the "Final Frontier" script. Since the movie was made over his objections, my previous supposition that he wasn't involved, or at least didn't have rights to shut production down, seems reasonable.

I did find the exact quote from the TOS episode I mentioned previously, "Obsession" from the second season. Note Mr Scott thanks "heaven," not "God." Guess that was keeping with Roddenberry's dictates.

SCOTT: "Captain, thank heaven!"
SPOCK: "Mister Scott, there was no deity involved. It was my cross-circuiting to B that recovered them."
MCCOY: "Well, then, thank pitchforks and pointed ears!"

Last edited:
So far, I have the star trek enterprise on dvd all f seasons and Star Trek TOS on DVD too. I just need to get all 7 seasons of TNG, DS9 and Voyager on DVD.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman