Fan-less sports?

I am not a fan of crowds much less rowdy ones. The last pro game that I went to, I had an idiot behind me with an air horn and an imbecile in front of me with a big foam finger hand that he waved constantly so that I couldn't see the field most of the time. The beer was expensive, warm and in small glasses so I was less than impressed and have not tried that again. I spent a couple of hundred bucks listening to a game rather than sitting at home and watching it.

NBA, the Final Four, and big indoor conventions may be hit. But, my opinion is in a few months we develop enough herd immunity that baseball and pro football will not be affected.

But here is a wrinkle. Big time pro sports do not need fans to show up to make money. Selling TV rights is where it's at. The NFL is making profits with a 1/4 to 1/2 of the fans not showing up. I know season ticket holders to the Chicago Bears that don't want to go see a bad team and can't give away their tickets. But hey, the tickets were sold, right?

Reactions: Paulm
I believe that no fans in the stands would affect the players more than the fans. College basketball, especially, relies on fan cheering for motivation. Oh, no fans would definitely affect stadium workers, food sales, that extra income that owners receive. If that income is significant, you can bet owners will vote against it.

Would I watch, sure. Ninety-nine percent of the time I watch sports on TV verses in the stands.

Reactions: Paintman and Paulm
I believe that no fans in the stands would affect the players more than the fans. College basketball, especially, relies on fan cheering for motivation. Oh, no fans would definitely affect stadium workers, food sales, that extra income that owners receive. If that income is significant, you can bet owners will vote against it.

Would I watch, sure. Ninety-nine percent of the time I watch sports on TV verses in the stands.
it would be quite a hit to the stadiums, no vendors, no parking fees, no food sales, no fan events..... if that was a long term deal there would be no more stadiums, just small arenas for games to be played in.....could change sports as we know it.