Fair Season

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
IT'S FAIR SEASON HERE IN MY COUNTY! BELOW IS ONE OF THE MENUS OFFERED FROM A BOOTH THERE. AS A YOUNG PERSON, I NEVER MISSED THE FAIR! IT WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE SUMMER! AS AN ADULT, I TEND TO AVOID IT.

THE QUESTION IS, DO YOU STILL GO TO THE FAIR? IF YOU DO, WHAT DO YOU GO FOR? THE RIDES? THE FOOD? THE ANIMALS? EVENTS? DO YOU GO MORE THAN ONCE?

66580119_10111904456800078_3986364056012324864_n (Small).jpg

For those of you in other countries, do you have similar fairs?

Reactions: Donna K.
I used to go to the county fair here in PA, but of course can't do it anymore. My favorite things to eat at the fair included those kabobs, funnel cake, baked apple with real whipped cream, corn on the cob, and sausages; not all at the same time, of course.

Last edited:
When I was working in Tupelo, MS, I visited their state fair. I’ve never seen so many cowboy hats and big buckles in my life.

I’m from a big city with a massive fair. I go for everything but probably, the food, the concerts, the special interest and hobby displays and the rides in that order. I guess I forgot to slide the products - like Teflon coated pans - into that list.

tenor.gif
I think Spanky speaks for me:).
Make a day of it every year since forever !
The farm animals and the petting zoo are fun. Have I ever mentioned that I once pet a kangaroo? :p
Then we cross the Midway to play games. I like the BB submachine guns where you shoot out the star. And the water gun game where you have to shoot the clown in the mouth until you blow up a balloon. And then I got to check out the old pitching arm on the speed gun:cool:.
Then hit the steel plate with the giant hammer and try to ring the bell at the top...
Then the friends and family gather around the mouse game. For you out-of-towners, it's roulette played with a live rodent.:) You get to win stuffed animals to give to your date or a child. As you may Imagine, by this time I have already won my obligatory poster of Farrah Fawcett and my Pamela Anderson mirror.

We do the food part in a cool manner. Everybody buys something different and we all share. Now you have to remember that the Chicagoland region looks like the United Nations. BBQ ribs and smoked pork shoulder and turkey. Croatian lamb, Greek things, Polish things. A big platter of fried vegetables.
Then it is off to visit the various buildings of Interest. We have a grade school friend that adopted two children from Ukraine. He taught them beekeeping and they enter the contest every year.
I like to check up on the Indiana fish and wildlife exhibits, and photography and giant vegetables competitions.
Then it's off to look at the heavy farm equipment and what's new in lawn tractors.:)
On the way out we stopped in the giant industrial Arts building. This used to be cool because guys would set up a booth with their own inventions and sell really cool gadgets. Those days are gone and now they sell gutter guards and water filters and pre-planned funerals.:(
None the less, I always sign my brother up at the Navy recruiter table. ;)

Too long /did not read: Oh Boy !

Royal Easter Show.I used to breed bantam chickens as a kid,so would brave the crowds to see the thousands of livestock entries.
I used to raise many breeds of chickens. I’ve not heard of a Batman chicken, do you have a pic?

Reactions: Paulm and Donna K.
those of you that know me already know I’m a fair fan. I don’t do the rides anymore but I love the food and festivities. Nothing like a corn dog and a walk through the animal barn. Horse shows are fun too.