Fae and Gnomes thread

ElliO

Reaction score
Okay, this is going to be kind of long, and I'm actually not looking for advice, so much as for unique suggestions and ideas. I'm also going to let you into a part of my life that I have shared with almost no one, except the one person who was there with me the whole time, my little sister.

My mother just sold our family farm (to extended family members), and I'm here for the next two weeks helping clean up the house and outbuildings and get them ready for our cousins to move in. My father and grandfather built this house on land that, until then, had been virgin forest up until my great grandfather homesteaded it, and after that, was cow & sheep pasture. There is something INSIDE the house, and that's a story for another post, but outside the house, in the forest by the creek, through the woods up to the old milling road, are what we've always called 'the fairy lights.'
When we were children, we'd leave them offerings, of the sorts children do- freshly picked wildflowers, cherry Kool-Aid (the best flavor!), chocolate chip cookies, pretty rocks, etc. Who knows if the fae were taking them or we just had well-fed raccoons and happy packrats around. No one believed us that there were lights in the woods that came when we sang to them. My dad said "Eyes see things in the dark that aren't there." (And keep in mind, he was a well-witch, and a darn good natural psychic!) My uncle told us it was probably swamp gas or something. So we stopped talking about them to anyone.
Anyway! My sister has always had a special relationship with them, even had blue orbs lead her out of the house during times when she felt threatened by the whatever-is-inside the house or traumatized by family events. She recently told me stories about the things that happened after I left home, and how she feels that the Fae in the woods were what helped her stay safe, sane, and centered. (She also recently watched Missing 411-The Hunted and at the end, when David interviews the hunters with the camp in Bigfoot territory who talk about seeing blue lights in the woods, freaked out- "That's it! That's what I've seen! That is NOT swamp gas!")

Whatever they are, it's time to say goodbye to them, and I'd like to leave an offering, as we did when we were kids, sing them a goodbye, as I used to sing them a hello and thank them for their place in my life. The New Moon is Sept 5th, so I have time to gather ideas. So, suggestions for saying goodbye rituals for floating swamp gas that comes when you sing to it? Yup, that sounds nutz…. okay, I'm nutz!

What a beautiful thing to do. Why say good bye. You will surely visit right? It’s family? Leave a gift and let them know you will visit when possible. I think we are always connected energetically to those we meet.

I hadn't even thought of jewelry or trinkets. I've found a lot of those little things from our childhood here.
Honestly, I don't see myself coming back here, and if I am, it will be for a wedding or funeral or something, where I won't exactly be wandering around in the woods. I think it will be interesting over the years to talk to my cousin's little children and see if they make the same connections, though!

I've heard a few open women talk about the Fae but never a guy,do you think they only appear to females?I'm pretty open but have never experienced these.My daughters said they would see them near a big tree on our old property when they were young.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I've heard a few open women talk about the Fae but never a guy,do you think they only appear to females?I'm pretty open but have never experienced these.My daughters said they would see them near a big tree on our old property when they were young.
There are stories throughout history of men meeting up with the Fae....most of those stories don't end well. lol However, I know that elementals of all kinds will appear to men or women. I think men are simply less likely to speak of them.

I did see a gnome type creature on the side of the road more than 30 years ago now,which I think I've written about.I don't know if it would be one of these,this thing was scary and goblin like.

I did see a gnome type creature on the side of the road more than 30 years ago now,which I think I've written about.I don't know if it would be one of these,this thing was scary and goblin like.
interesting. Debi, got any ideas about the scary, gnome, goblin beings???. really curious because I have a story along these lines also. and what made me think of it is that is the exact words used to describe it to me.... I only got a glimpse.

I'll clarify that I've never seen actual 'beings', trolls, fairies, whatever. What I've seen and experienced looks like fireflies, but in different colors, yellow, blue, green, orange. Different colored lights flickering in the woods. A few years ago, I read Michelle Belanger's "Haunted Experiences: Encounters with the Otherworldly" where she describes the exact same thing, (and them rather naughtily leading one of her friends into a swamp), that was the first time I really realized that what I'd experienced was real, that other people had experienced it.

I will also mention here that I didn't see a firefly until I was in my 30's, and was visiting North Carolina. I thought, well, maybe I saw fireflies and thought they were fairies... When I got back to California, I actually called the entomology department at OSU and asked about fireflies in Oregon. There are only two species in Oregon that light up (that they know of) and both are very rare, limited to specific areas on the coast, and only glow faint yellow, not red, green, or blue. In fact, I can't find any reference to any firefly that emits a red light, though there are species that emit a light that looks greenish to the human eye.

My sister's experiences with the fairy lights are somewhat different than mine, more intense, more personal, than mine, and includes orbs, psychic impressions and more, but that's her story to tell when she's ready.

I've heard a few stories of men who have encountered other beings that qualify as fae, but none first hand, unless you count Native American accounts of the Little People and other, what I like to call, North American Native Fae. I know some accounts say the Europeans brought the Fae to America with them, but my research is making more and more correlations to Native American legends that go long beyond the arrival of the Europeans.

There are stories throughout history of men meeting up with the Fae....most of those stories don't end well. lol
They are starting to sound creepy,I imagined they were cute ,happy little things. :eek:

Reactions: Lynne