Expression, phrase or idiom...

That SO before every sentence, mainly from people being interviewed on tv annoys me the most, it seems to have spread like covid, lol. I've alerted others about it and now it annoys them too, sorry.

Reactions: garnetsilver
'Why' especially if it's used in a more demanding and aggressive tone. It's enough to make someone feel as if they're on trial.

"At this point in time." Why not just say at this time? It means the same darned thing. And I don't know why, but the word "App" drives me crazy. Why not say application? It sounds better. We have so many beautiful words in our language, and they are being slaughtered, lol. Also, I get irritated when people post things like blogs, riddled with typos that they are too careless to fix before publishing.
The word "App" vexes me as well. In my mind it's still "software" or a "program" while the word "application" is simply the method of applying something.

I'm very cognizant of words such as "um", "ah", "like", "ya know" and other spoken fillers. It drives me crazy hearing people, especially public speakers, "um" and "ah" their way through a presentation.

The word "App" vexes me as well. In my mind it's still "software" or a "program" while the word "application" is simply the method of applying something.

I'm very cognizant of words such as "um", "ah", "like", "ya know" and other spoken fillers. It drives me crazy hearing people, especially public speakers, "um" and "ah" their way through a presentation.
There was a time when public speakers had to be trained to speak properly and were actually not allowed to use words like "um," or such. Nowadays with all the amateur speakers on the internet, professional speaking has gone out the window.

Reactions: Benway and Duke
There was a time when public speakers had to be trained to speak properly and were actually not allowed to use words like "um," or such. Nowadays with all the amateur speakers on the internet, professional speaking has gone out the window.
It the same with writing. Many, if not most, can't write a proper sentence.

It the same with writing. Many, if not most, can't write a proper sentence.
When I first started on the forum, I was very careful with grammar and structure. Seriously obsessed with it! I would read everything twice to be sure I had it right. I'd even go back and correct typos from old threads if I saw one. Now....not so much! I find myself needing speed over the rules of English. I think this may have happened over time to many of us with the use of the internet and texting.

Reactions: Benway and Duke
That's true, Debi, and perfectly understandable. With forums and chat it isn't such a big deal, but it irks me when I see major publications allowing poor grammar and typos to get by. As a writer, it bothers me; much like it would a musician, who has to hear an instrument played poorly. Casual chat aside, it is mostly self publishing that hurts the industry.

Reactions: RoseRed and Benway
That's true, Debi, and perfectly understandable. With forums and chat it isn't such a big deal, but it irks me when I see major publications allowing poor grammar and typos to get by. As a writer, it bothers me; much like it would a musician, who has to hear an instrument played poorly. Casual chat aside, it is mostly self publishing that hurts the industry.
I hear you on that. I recently read an article that made me "itchy"....lol I wanted to take a red pen to it.