exploding lightbulb and shaking lamp

firsthomeagain

Reaction score
New here, wanted an opinion if anyone can give it on last night's incident. My bedside touch lamp wasnt working so I gently took hold of the bulb to replace it and it literally exploded in my hand and the glass went everywhere. Went downstairs to bandage two cuts on my hand, and on retiring to bed several minutes later the lamp began shaking of its own accord such that it caused quite a bit of noise. Turned the overhead light on and it stopped, but I would like to know whether or not this is just normal stuff (I'm in a new house). Had a strange incident about ten years ago when a purse positioned beside me on a sideboard suddenly moved several inches without explanation (two of us saw it). Could anything electrical cause a small lamp to shake to the point of being noisy?

New here, wanted an opinion if anyone can give it on last night's incident. My bedside touch lamp wasnt working so I gently took hold of the bulb to replace it and it literally exploded in my hand and the glass went everywhere. Went downstairs to bandage two cuts on my hand, and on retiring to bed several minutes later the lamp began shaking of its own accord such that it caused quite a bit of noise. Turned the overhead light on and it stopped, but I would like to know whether or not this is just normal stuff (I'm in a new house). Had a strange incident about ten years ago when a purse positioned beside me on a sideboard suddenly moved several inches without explanation (two of us saw it). Could anything electrical cause a small lamp to shake to the point of being noisy?
After doing a bit of research on this, it appears loose wiring can not only cause a light bulb to explode but also make the lamp shake. It's very possible this was what happened. Touch lamps are known to be a frequent cause of house fires as well. I would throw that lamp out just in case.

Has anything else happened in the home that is of a paranormal nature?

Reactions: firsthomeagain
After doing a bit of research on this, it appears loose wiring can not only cause a light bulb to explode but also make the lamp shake. It's very possible this was what happened. Touch lamps are known to be a frequent cause of house fires as well. I would throw that lamp out just in case.

Has anything else happened in the home that is of a paranormal nature?

No, only been here a few weeks, its a small old house well over 100 years old (Ive told no-one ever seems to stay long). I have actually had a few strange things happen in the past (not just the purse) but nothing at all for about the last ten years until this. The exploding bulb was one thing but the shaking base was something else, not frightened as such but more concerned about the potential safety issue. About fifteen years ago I was seeing a few strange things and it coincided with touch lamps regularly switching on or off of their own accord, which I know can be normal with power surges etc but I'm always wary of them, like you say probably best to throw them out.

Reactions: Debi
No, only been here a few weeks, its a small old house well over 100 years old (Ive told no-one ever seems to stay long). I have actually had a few strange things happen in the past (not just the purse) but nothing at all for about the last ten years until this. The exploding bulb was one thing but the shaking base was something else, not frightened as such but more concerned about the potential safety issue. About fifteen years ago I was seeing a few strange things and it coincided with touch lamps regularly switching on or off of their own accord, which I know can be normal with power surges etc but I'm always wary of them, like you say probably best to throw them out.
Well, welcome to the forum, and glad you are here. Would love to hear about your other experiences. :)

Welcome to the forum. I was going to say the same as Debi, it could be electricity. That’s not to say there is not a paranormal cause but rule out the natural first. Get your wiring checked out to be sure it’s safe. I’d throw out the lamp. A one off incident is nothing to be concerned about if minor. Weird things seem to happen to everyone at some point in life.

Thanks, I'll stay open-minded but in this instance a paranormal explanation would be of lesser concern than faulty electrics.

I totally understand that! I once told a plumber that I'd much rather my house be haunted than there be a faulty water valve. Of course, it was a very expensive hot water heater valve, not a haunting.
But yea, I'd throw away the lamp, have the wiring checked. And see what happens next!

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I totally understand that! I once told a plumber that I'd much rather my house be haunted than there be a faulty water valve. Of course, it was a very expensive hot water heater valve, not a haunting.
But yea, I'd throw away the lamp, have the wiring checked. And see what happens next!
I agree.