Exorcists ask for more help

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Reactions: Paintman
It's hard to say! On one hand, maybe there is an uptick in the need for them because of the troubled times we are going through. People will either become more spiritual or much less, leaving themselves open to evil influences. On the other hand, maybe people are more susceptible to believing that they are possessed because there is such an interest in the paranormal now.

I agree completely. With all the social media/cable/whatever of paranormal, people aren't prepared for it. If Suzy Ponytail can talk to ghosts, so can i lol. Plus with all the negative energy around the planet, 'things' are gonna thrive. The world is going soft. That truly is the scariest part. Does anyone else think buffet?

This is as good a place as any to retell a story from the 1990s. The Chicago Sun-Times had a small column length - page 3 article about the diocese requesting additional exorcists from around the country and for additional training. They had a serious problem. The story was talked about in the pews among the laity.
Catholic media talked about it for one day. And then immediate print and radio silence.

I smelled something was up and asked the head of Maintenance for a large Parish and elementary school. ( a smart and practical man that earned all of his work towards his Deaconet and decided it wasn't for him.)

He said the sudden lack of media follow up was not to cause a panic among the parishioners - and everybody else. That Panic could further overwhelm the few priests trained in exorcism.

These cases are fully vetted and a very small percentage of people receive an actual exorcism. Luckily many people go to the doctor for the first time in years and find out there's something organic going on that leads them to believe a demonic attack. A psychiatrist may just need to modify some medications. There are an awful lot of hoops to go through before the case is even presented to the Bishop for approval.

Nowadays it's talked about and written about more openly. Often times a concerned family member will approach the church. The first question the priest would ask is when was the last time they took part in the sacraments. "20 years." Well let's start there.

Basically, this is the premise of Ghost Busters.

Reactions: Selectric
Do you think this uptick in requests is due to people being more aware of exorcisms or there really is a problem with more frequent cases of possession?
I think more are open to the idea of possibly being possessed but I feel most cases are probably psychological only with no outside evil influences. If more people came onto sites like this and got some understanding it would give the church a break. Also I think some people are just drawn to doing bad things and then like to blame an evil entity when they are caught out, lol.

Reactions: Paulm and Selectric