EVP tips and tricks?

Dark_NightOwl21

Reaction score
Hello, so I just got an Aomago Digital Voice recorder. It has 8GB, AB functions (don't quite understand that one), 7 EQ modes, mp3 function, delete function, USB connection, and playback function (which I hear is important for investigating evp).

I'm wondering if anyone who has more experience recording evp can give me some tips here, as this is what I am looking to do. I have headphones and a computer with an audio program (for editing/reviewing audio). However I'm struggling to catch evp.

I realise I may not have the best equipment (I'm on an budget) but I know I can make it work. So any tips and tricks to catching evps would come very handy! Also I don't understand how you can hear evp DURING the recording (unless I'm misunderstanding something) - as I thought you only know you have evp when you playback the recording?

Some times you can simultaneously hear a message real time and record it. This has happened on a couple occasions to a colleague of mine, most recently a few years back. While alone in a old house he was investigating, he clearly heard a disembodied female voice say, "Leave." He noted it on his recorder by leaving himself a verbal note to see if he could hear the voice. When he played it back, the "leave" was very clear, followed by his own voice reminding himself to check for the female voice.

Reactions: Lynne
Some times you can simultaneously hear a message real time and record it. This has happened on a couple occasions to a colleague of mine, most recently a few years back. While alone in a old house he was investigating, he clearly heard a disembodied female voice say, "Leave." He noted it on his recorder by leaving himself a verbal note to see if he could hear the voice. When he played it back, the "leave" was very clear, followed by his own voice reminding himself to check for the female voice.
With my recorder I would have to have headphones plugged in to hear what the recorder is picking up real-time then? Since I can't hear what it is recording without them.

With my recorder I would have to have headphones plugged in to hear what the recorder is picking up real-time then? Since I can't hear what it is recording without them.
My friend does not wear headphones while investigating. He's heard the messages with his unaided/unencumbered ears in real time, then heard it again on the recordings he made at the time while playing them back later.

Wearing headphones while investigating isn't something I'd do. I would not want to run the risk of missing something real time because my ears were covered with headphones. Always the possibility you might hear something that doesn't show up on the recording.

Reactions: Lynne
My friend does not wear headphones while investigating. He's heard the messages with his unaided/unencumbered ears in real time, then heard it again on the recordings he made at the time while playing them back later.

Wearing headphones while investigating isn't something I'd do. I would not want to run the risk of missing something real time because my ears were covered with headphones. Always the possibility you might hear something that doesn't show up on the recording.
Hmm okay, I figured you couldn't hear evp with your bare ears. Maybe I am wrong. I will give that a try. I know I have "activity" in my home (have for years) so I'll continue to try and capture evp. Thanks for the advice.

Hmm okay, I figured you couldn't hear evp with your bare ears. Maybe I am wrong. I will give that a try. I know I have "activity" in my home (have for years) so I'll continue to try and capture evp. Thanks for the advice.
As I said before, it happens only sometimes. I've never experienced it, others have. It might be a function of how receptive/sensitive one is to such things. There is also the problem of confirmation bias. People who are particularly keen to experience the paranormal often do, at least they think they do.

It's important to hear what's going on around you in real time during an investigation if for no other reason so you can distinguish and identify non-paranomal sounds you pick up on a recorder. Things like floor boards squeaking/creaking as you walk on them and wind blowing are examples. Can also be for your own safety.

There are times that a voice can be heard on the electronics and also in real time. Voice phenomena does occur both ways so listening in real time helps to pick that up when it happens.

When I "live listen" I am in a group and I'm the only one listening through the headset. That way the group can hear with their naked ears and the person live listening can tell them if they have gotten a response in the moment. We often have other recorders going at the same time that we can play back during the investigation. This works great for us. I know it's been a bit since your initial post, have you had any luck since then?

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I would add that many investigations just have too many people involved. Try and sequester anyone doing an EVP session. Too many people add audio contamination that isn't obvious at the time. Feet shuffling, hands in pockets, breathing, sniffling, stomach gurgles, even flatulence that nobody ever owns-up to- you'd be amazed at the mundane sounds some recorders can pick up.
We use both headphones for real-time review, as well as just leaving the recorder by itself to record with nobody around. Try and have multiple recorders running simultaneously, if you have the means.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi