Evil sold separately

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Evil sold separately: Christine is up for auction

Evil sold separately: Christine is up for auction
The 1958 Plymouth movie car will be a highlight at Mecum's Florida event this week
by Jil McIntosh | January 9, 2020

christine.jpg

If you’ve got lots of cash – and like the idea of a car that fixes its own parking-lot dents – then Mecum Auctions has a deal for you. The 1958 Plymouth Fury from the movie Christine is crossing the block on January 10 at the company’s auction in Kissimmee, Florida.

The initial estimate is US$400,000 to US$500,000, but of course if more than one bidder wants it, the sky could be the limit.

The car was one of several Plymouths used in the 1983 film, directed by John Carpenter. It was based on a novel by Stephen King, about a car seemingly possessed by evil.

Long before we’d heard of autonomous cars, Christine could drive herself, usually so she could run over somebody who’d ticked her off. Any damage could be fixed by pushing her backwards, essentially taking her back in time to before she’d been hit.

Other Plymouths were wrecked for the movie, while this pristine Christine was used primarily for “beauty shots.” When filming wrapped up, it was the centerpiece of a promotional sweepstakes for the movie. Out of 40,000 entries, a winning ticket for the car was drawn on television on New Year’s Eve and she went to a new owner.

The car has since been restored – we’re assuming it took more than just driving it in Reverse – and features a V8 engine, push-button automatic transmission, power steering and brakes, vinyl and cloth upholstery and whitewall tires, and wears the same shade of red-with-a-white-roof as in the film. About the only thing not true to its movie appearance is the bumper sticker it wears, which says, “Watch out for me, I am pure evil, I am Christine.”

As one of the most famous cars to grace the big screen, this Christine is one of very few known survivors from the film, the auction house said. Naturally it comes with full documentation – but interior evil is not included.