Entire School district closed for flu

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
School District Closes For Two Days After 600 Students Call In Sick

CLEVES, Ohio (CBS Local) — An entire school district in Ohio was shut down for two days this week after nearly 600 students called in sick, the district’s superintendent said. All classes and after school activities at Three Rivers Local School District in Cleves were cancelled for Thursday, Jan. 30 and Friday, Jan. 31. because of a major flu outbreak.

Superintendent Craig Hockenberry said out of nearly 2,400 people who attend or work at three schools on campus, about 600 students and as many as 50 staff members are out sick.

Many of the students have the same symptoms, such as high fever, vomiting and body aches, he told CBS affiliate WKRC.

This is happening in my area as well in Indiana. This is the "normal" flu, not the China Virus.

Many of the students have the same symptoms, such as high fever, vomiting and body aches, he told CBS affiliate WKRC.

This is a western Cincinnati suburb, about a 30-40 minute drive from my daughter's.

One thing I find confusing is use of the word "flu." As a kid, the flu was what's described above...vomiting, fever, aches, (and diarrhea), etc....a digestive tract malady. Then later in life I was told flu was a respiratory illness....sneezing, sore throat, sinus issues, along with the fever and aches. Then a few years ago I started hearing the term "stomach flu," which apparently was meant to cover the digestive problems.

This is a western Cincinnati suburb, about a 30-40 minutes drive from my daughter's.

One thing I find confusing is use of the word "flu." As a kid, the flu was what's described above...vomiting, fever, aches, (and diarrhea), etc....a digestive tract malady. Then later in life I was told flu was a respiratory illness....sneezing, sore throat, sinus issues, along with the fever and aches. Then a few years ago I started hearing the term "stomach flu," which apparently was meant to cover the digestive problems.
A norovirus is responsible for the stomach type. This is what you hear about on cruise ships a lot and many times goes rampant in the younger grade school crowd. A true flu, or the flu as we now describe it, is the respiratory type of flu with fever, etc. The first type, norovirus, is rarely fatal...the true flu kills. Just as a note here, the respiratory type can also involve the stomach in same strains but always has a respiratory component.