Emotional Attachments

I'm dreading my mum passing, mostly because she's a great mum but also because her home is choked with stuff. Good stuff, mostly antique furniture, countless expensive dinner sets in many glass cases, clocks, ornaments, everything. As she says I will be having a garage sale of a lifetime :anguished: lol.
That will be a tough sorting through Oz. It's hard to do with all the memories associated with a possessions gathered from a lifetime. I have not had to do that for my folks,but eventually, it is something we will all have to contend with :( I helped close friends sort through their parents places after they had passed. It is never easy.

I held onto a small, stuffed leopard that my mom gave me when I was still in my 20's. I believe that no matter your age, you're always going to be their baby. I have it perched on top of a display case on top of my computer desk. It's something I don't feel I could ever part with.

I held onto a small, stuffed leopard that my mom gave me when I was still in my 20's. I believe that no matter your age, you're always going to be their baby. I have it perched on top of a display case on top of my computer desk. It's something I don't feel I could ever part with.
Wolf, it doesn't matter how old your child is. Grown or not, you guys are always our babies. Keep that leopard close.

• Love it
Reactions: RoseRed
I have very strong emotional attachments to things and there are many things I will never give up. However, I also like a spacious, tidy environment, so I have found myself having regular "clear-outs" every few years or so. It's a great feeling letting stuff go, but there are certain things I could never part with...ever.

I am trying to get a half century of accumulation down to whatever will fit in one small room. My wife, however, saves everything. Sees no need to lighten the load. Drives me nuts!
My first wife got all my custom, hand-made teak furniture and most family items. It took the wind out of my sail and I never really got anything fancy or expensive after that. Now wife #2, the crafter, never met a piece of scrap (of anything) that she didn't absolutely have to save.
The good news is, we always have stuff we can use in the wood stove for winter heat. ;bg3

I am trying to get a half century of accumulation down to whatever will fit in one small room. My wife, however, saves everything. Sees no need to lighten the load. Drives me nuts!
My first wife got all my custom, hand-made teak furniture and most family items. It took the wind out of my sail and I never really got anything fancy or expensive after that. Now wife #2, the crafter, never met a piece of scrap (of anything) that she didn't absolutely have to save.
The good news is, we always have stuff we can use in the wood stove for winter heat. ;bg3
My Dad's like that with timber. Literally any bit of old wood and he just has to keep it! "You never know when it might come in handy" he says. If that were true, the pile would be getting smaller, not bigger!

My Dad's like that with timber. Literally any bit of old wood and he just has to keep it! "You never know when it might come in handy" he says. If that were true, the pile would be getting smaller, not bigger!
1653056358373.png