Easter Island Mystery solved?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/water-study-inadvertently-solves-easter-island-moai-mystery/

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY29hc3R0b2NvYXN0YW0uY29tL2NpbWFnZXMvdmFyL2V6d2ViaW5fc2l0ZS9zdG9yYWdlL2ltYWdlcy9jb2FzdC10by1jb2FzdC9yZXBvc2l0b3J5L3RodW1ibmFpbHMvbW9haS0yMDE4LzEwNjg2NzEtMS1lbmctVVMvTW9haS0yMDE4LmpwZw==

An intriguing new theory suggests that the legendary statues found on Easter Island, known as 'moai,' may have had a less mystical purpose than previously imagined. As part of his decades-long study of the original inhabitants of the tiny island, anthropologist Carl Lipo believes that he may have inadvertently solved the longstanding mystery. This occurred as a result of the researcher's curiosity about how the Rapa Nui people were able to survive in light of the scarcity of freshwater on the island.

According to a newly published paper by Lipo, field studies on the island found that there were "abundant locations of brackish but potable water along the coastline." The anthropologist concluded that this was likely where the Rapa Nui civilization got much of its drinking water. While the solution to that particular mystery may sound a bit mundane to some, it very well may have resulted in a rather remarkable breakthrough when it comes to questions surrounding the iconic moai on the island.

That's because, much to Lipo's surprise, when he looked at where the freshwater sources were found on the island, they just so happened to line up with locations that also feature the moai. "The more we looked, the more consistently we saw this pattern," he told Newsweek, noting that areas where there were no statues also had no nearby sources of freshwater. He also argued that this theory seems to explain why the moai were placed in areas on the island which appear to be incongruous to the idea that they were monuments of some kind.

On the contrary, Lipo posits, the massive statues served the utilitarian purpose of pointing out freshwater sources. Why, exactly, the Rapa Nui people would choose to erect enormous statues in such locations rather than devising a different method for marking where one could find drinkable water is, of course, still a mystery.

Reactions: Paintman
MY theory says they are statues of the gods to honor them for giving the water to them. :)

Reactions: Paintman
maybe simply, the statues are where the water is because that's where the ppl were....lol...
I don't think they would have to have statues telling them where the fresh water is.... I meen they went to the water every day...not like they gonna get lost.....

maybe simply, the statues are where the water is because that's where the ppl were....lol...
I don't think they would have to have statues telling them where the fresh water is.... I meen they went to the water every day...not like they gonna get lost.....
The statues face the ocean, not inland....I think this says something.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
I think they’re making a big assumption on very little evidence. I agree with Paul on this. It is a small island. They didn’t need to mark the spot for water. These statues look more like sentinels. If I had to guess, I’d say they were like an army protecting the island from wayward ships. It would be an ominous sight to someone wanting to come ashore.

Reactions: Paulm
[This string of expletives removed so Debi doesn't banninate me]

Carl Lipo is a [beep] moron. I run into his kind every day and they infuriate me to no end.

Hye Carl, do you know why people built the statues where they are? Because that's where the people were. You know why that's where they were? Because that's where the water was. If you'd ever step out of whatever city you live in for 10 seconds or paid one ounce of attention to the books you read when you were in school, you MIGHT understand that pumping water from one place to another is an unbelievably NEW phenomenon. For the rest of history, people lived where they could EASILY GET WATER.

Now here's the kicker Carl: people didn't, don't, and NEVER WILL put more effort into obtaining their necessities than absolutely required. People all over the world, for the entire time they have existed, marked important places as quickly, reliably and AS EASILY AS POSSIBLE. FFS, go to central Asia and they still do it. They don't build massive artistic creations to do it, they friggin stack rocks. But those same people will build large artistic projects. But not as a monument to utility, but as an expression of their faith, beliefs, or even just BOREDOM.

People like him are urbanites and have no conception of where their food comes from, how things are made, or how much effort goes into ANYTHING, because they have this belief that things appear at their local Whole Foods or Trader Joe's by pure [bleep] magic. I want to slap every damn one of them. We should partner with the Amish to make it mandatory for every 13-year-old to spend a season or two learning where things come from.

[deep breath]

Carry on.

Reactions: Paulm
[This string of expletives removed so Debi doesn't banninate me]

Carl Lipo is a [beep] moron. I run into his kind every day and they infuriate me to no end.

Hye Carl, do you know why people built the statues where they are? Because that's where the people were. You know why that's where they were? Because that's where the water was. If you'd ever step out of whatever city you live in for 10 seconds or paid one ounce of attention to the books you read when you were in school, you MIGHT understand that pumping water from one place to another is an unbelievably NEW phenomenon. For the rest of history, people lived where they could EASILY GET WATER.

Now here's the kicker Carl: people didn't, don't, and NEVER WILL put more effort into obtaining their necessities than absolutely required. People all over the world, for the entire time they have existed, marked important places as quickly, reliably and AS EASILY AS POSSIBLE. FFS, go to central Asia and they still do it. They don't build massive artistic creations to do it, they friggin stack rocks. But those same people will build large artistic projects. But not as a monument to utility, but as an expression of their faith, beliefs, or even just BOREDOM.

People like him are urbanites and have no conception of where their food comes from, how things are made, or how much effort goes into ANYTHING, because they have this belief that things appear at their local Whole Foods or Trader Joe's by pure [bleep] magic. I want to slap every damn one of them. We should partner with the Amish to make it mandatory for every 13-year-old to spend a season or two learning where things come from.

[deep breath]

Carry on.
Well stated

Bingo. What a pain to drag all that rock around & carve it just as a sign for a pond. Imagine how thirsty all the workers would get chiseling & hauling the huge stones? The mystery deepens.

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne