Earth's missing time

"Rocks are formed through the rock cycle, which involves physical changes such as melting, cooling, eroding, compacting, or deforming. Sedimentary rocks are formed from pieces of other existing rock or organic material. Igneous rocks are formed from melted rock deep inside the Earth. Metamorphic rocks are formed from other rocks that are changed by heat and pressure underground. Sedimentary rocks can also form from chemical precipitation. Eroded particles of rock are transported by wind, water, and ice and deposited on dry land, on the beds of rivers and lakes, or in the seas. Over years, these pieces of rock, or sediments, are pressed together by the weight of new deposits on top of them and cement together to form rocks."

Reactions: 7Critter and Lynne
"Rocks are formed through the rock cycle, which involves physical changes such as melting, cooling, eroding, compacting, or deforming. Sedimentary rocks are formed from pieces of other existing rock or organic material. Igneous rocks are formed from melted rock deep inside the Earth. Metamorphic rocks are formed from other rocks that are changed by heat and pressure underground. Sedimentary rocks can also form from chemical precipitation. Eroded particles of rock are transported by wind, water, and ice and deposited on dry land, on the beds of rivers and lakes, or in the seas. Over years, these pieces of rock, or sediments, are pressed together by the weight of new deposits on top of them and cement together to form rocks."
Thanks Dan, I you explained that very well.

The quotation marks mean I didn't write this BUT was the best explanation that I could find.

I really never gave the age of rocks much thought, I guess I thought rocks were just always here. How are new rocks made anyway? Anybody know?
New rocks are made thru a number of processes. Some are birthed from volcanoes as lava bombs, or as part of a lava flow. Some are made from loose materials under millions of tons of compression and heat under the Earth. Some chemically amalgamate in the presence of naturally occurring corrosive minerals. Then of course there are humans, who make artificial diamonds and concrete etc.

Reactions: Debi and 7Critter
Where I was raised I don't think there WERE any natural rocks there. Swamps just don't produce rocks. MUD we had in endless quantity but all of the rocks were imported. The farms there were almost all rice farms that require standing water during part of the growing cycle. All that water did make for lots of great fishing though. I learned to swim almost as soon as I learned to walk.

Reactions: Debi and 7Critter