E-Book or book in hand?

I've become a disciple of the interlibrary loan, and have gotten books loaned from as far away as Australia.

Book in hand. Books are like old friends to me. Like Paulm, I have collected hundreds of books since I was young. If you are looking for it I probably have it... except romance novels... not a fan. I have read them all and most several times. They each have their own personality or memory for me so no matter my mood or the chaos around me, I know just where to go to find a friend. I tried e-books and the experience was definitely not the same.

I am also a great patron and believer in public libraries. The closest to me is in a town of 2,000 citizen's and tiny. But, I can get anything from anywhere on any subject through their inter-library loan within a few days. That's just cool.

I, too, have a love-hate relationship with technology. I will always love books; the smell of the pages and the print, and the way the bindings look, lined up in my little library-office. I have happy memories of spending long hours in the library or book store, and falling asleep with a favored book cradled next to my pillow. I have yet to read an e-book!
Those are my feelings EXACTLY! I feel like reading a book is a magical experience, and e-books just don't have that same magic for me. I can't even count the number of times I have fallen asleep with a book next to me. I actually think I have spent more hours in book stores and libraries than I have in my own home. No matter how far technology takes us it will NEVER take my books.

No bookstores left anymore here. I always had the notion to open a bookstore when I finally retired, I even wrote software to catalogue the thousands of books I'd have in stock. All used, swap or trade whichever way. Not gonna happen now even the charity shops only have about a dozen books, sad.

Another reason I love paper books is because I believe they are magical. I’ve posted here before about the book (about psychic skills) which in a completely empty row of Barnes and Noble shelves fell off the shelves to my feet. I of course bought that book.

As I’ve posted here in the past year, that exact same book fell off of the shelf in my office revealing a sequence of numbers. I played those numbers in the Florida lotto that same night and matched four of the six numbers.

I doubt that same level of magic could present with an ebook. And if it did, the ebook reader might not survive two falls.

51496129_2032209026857488_8157850196143767552_n (Small).jpg

I too love spending hours in book stores, especially long established used book stores. When I travelled for work, I always made a point to find a local used book shop. The one place I regretted not getting to visit was the village of Hay-on- Wye in Wales, a small town of used bookstores.
That sounds like a charming place to visit! I would be so thrilled to visit there!

Reactions: Donna K.
I like the smell of new books.
I'll read new, used, or an e-book.

Problem is taking time and trying to sit still. I used to love reading. Now it's a difficult task. I hope to regain that ability.