E-Bike sparks fire destroying building

I didn't even know these were a thing. I can see a bike you don't have to peddle would be handy. I thought they were gas powered.

Reactions: Selectric
They didn't say how they knew that it was the pedal assist bicycle (ebike) since most things were destroyed by the fire. If it was related to the ebike, most likely the over-heating and fire was caused while charging the lithium ion battery. So . . was it the battery or the battery charger or the battery management module that caused the issue ? I would want to identify the problem before considering regulation.

Reactions: Lynne
For your information, a lithium battery used in a car or bicycle is made up of a series of smaller lithium batteries. The batteries are arranged in a combination of parallel and series connections to effect the desired voltage. Battery management system (BMS) software tries to identity when one of the smaller batteries has gone bad and eliminate it from the battery circuit. When this happens the overall voltage is lowered, but the vehicle can be operated safely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne
For your information, a lithium battery used in a car or bicycle is made up of a series of smaller lithium batteries. The batteries are arranged in a combination of parallel and series connections to effect the desired voltage. Battery management system (BMS) software tries to identity when one of the smaller batteries has gone bad and eliminate it from the battery circuit. When this happens the overall voltage is lowered, but the vehicle can be operated safely.
Thanks for making that understandable Critter.