Dreamcatcher

7Critter

Paranormal Trooper
Staff
Reaction score
Dreamcatcher Meaning: History, Legend & Origins of Dream Catchers

By K SHABI

What is the meaning and history behind the dreamcatcher? You've probably seen a dream catcher hanging from a tree, a porch or even in a souvenir shop and wondered about its purpose and meaning. Learn more about the story and the legend behind the origins of the dream catcher.

Originally created by American Indians, dreamcatchers today come in a variety of different sizes and styles. They usually consist of a small wooden hoop covered in a net or web of natural fibers, with meaningful sacred items like feathers and beads attached, hanging down from the bottom of the hoop. Real authentic, traditional dream catchers are handmade and crafted only from all natural materials, measuring just a few small inches across in size. The hoops are usually constructed of a bent Red Willow branch covered in stretched sinews. Wrapping the frame in leather is another common finishing touch for "real" dream catchers.

Today the dreamcatcher is associated with Native American culture in general, but dream catchers are often believed to have originated from the Ojibwa Chippewa tribe in particular. The Lakota tribe also has its own legend about the origins of the dreamcatcher, but most ethnographers believe the dreamcatchers were passed down from the Ojibwe through intermarriage and trade. The Ojibwe word for dreamcatcher asabikeshiinh actually means "spider," referring to the web woven to loosely cover the hoop. The patterns of the dream catcher are similar to the webbing these Native Americans also used for making snowshoes.

Sometimes referred to as "Sacred Hoops," Ojibwe dreamcatchers were traditionally used as talismans to protect sleeping people, usually children, from bad dreams and nightmares. Native Americans believe that the night air is filled with dreams, both good and bad. When hung above the bed in a place where the morning sunlight can hit it, the dream catcher attracts and catches all sorts of dreams and thoughts into its webs. Good dreams pass through and gently slide down the feathers to comfort the sleeper below. Bad dreams, however, are caught up in its protective net and destroyed, burned up in the light of day.
More at source article: Dreamcatcher Meaning: History, Legend & Origins of Dream Catchers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have or have you used a dreamcatcher ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Benway
Dreamcatcher Meaning: History, Legend & Origins of Dream Catchers

By K SHABI

What is the meaning and history behind the dreamcatcher? You've probably seen a dream catcher hanging from a tree, a porch or even in a souvenir shop and wondered about its purpose and meaning. Learn more about the story and the legend behind the origins of the dream catcher.

Originally created by American Indians, dreamcatchers today come in a variety of different sizes and styles. They usually consist of a small wooden hoop covered in a net or web of natural fibers, with meaningful sacred items like feathers and beads attached, hanging down from the bottom of the hoop. Real authentic, traditional dream catchers are handmade and crafted only from all natural materials, measuring just a few small inches across in size. The hoops are usually constructed of a bent Red Willow branch covered in stretched sinews. Wrapping the frame in leather is another common finishing touch for "real" dream catchers.

Today the dreamcatcher is associated with Native American culture in general, but dream catchers are often believed to have originated from the Ojibwa Chippewa tribe in particular. The Lakota tribe also has its own legend about the origins of the dreamcatcher, but most ethnographers believe the dreamcatchers were passed down from the Ojibwe through intermarriage and trade. The Ojibwe word for dreamcatcher asabikeshiinh actually means "spider," referring to the web woven to loosely cover the hoop. The patterns of the dream catcher are similar to the webbing these Native Americans also used for making snowshoes.
More at source article: Dreamcatcher Meaning: History, Legend & Origins of Dream Catchers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have or have you used a dreamcatcher ?
I got a feeling even if I did buy one it wouldn’t be authentic. Too many fakes out there.

So it’s important that they be made by a Native American?

Reactions: Lynne
I got a feeling even if I did buy one it wouldn’t be authentic. Too many fakes out there.

So it’s important that they be made by a Native American?

I think that its important that YOU believe in their power, just like many other symbols. Native Americans have a better take than I, however.

Reactions: Charleh
This might work for Armand , I think he’s been having sleep issues.

I have a dreamcatcher hanging on my bed. It was made by Native Americans in Oklahoma...

Do you find it helpful ?
Ward your bedroom like you would your house. That’s what I do. Only in the worst of nights do things still happen. Heh maybe I should get a dreamcatcher

Reactions: Lynne