Doppelgänger or..........?

PratchysRevenge

Reaction score
So I was 17 and working at a little mom and pop pizza joint in my hometown in North Carolina. Fun job, probably most fun job I ever had in high school.

So there was a new girl that started working there. She seemed much older initially because she was married and had a newborn child. But in reality she was just 2 years older than me. And at first she didn’t come off at all as attractive. No makeup and really thick glasses. Her husband was a pretty mean tyrant and wouldn’t give her any money. After she had worked and made a little she started dolling up a little before she came to work. Contacts replaced the glasses. I really started to take notice. Terry was an attractive girl after all.

So we worked together for 6 months or so and it came time for our company Christmas party. It was always pretty wild (think Waiting) and I went there with no preconceived plans. But as it turned out me and Terry ended up together that night and until I moved away to college we had a relationship. I would stop off at her house before our shifts while her husband was still at work and we’d............. you know. Honestly when I went away to college I missed her terribly. What was on the surface just a physical relationship had turned inwards on me. We stayed in touch, her hubby was very mean and cruel to her. I tried to give her support from a distance. In the end I met a local girl while in school and me and Terry fell out of contact.

Flash forward 10 years later. I never moved back to my hometown in NC. Stayed in Tennessee where I had gone to school and met the girl I ended up marrying. I was on my way home from work and had stopped off at a Target store close to my house to pick something up. I was walking to the checkout when, there she stood. Terry and a young man that looked to be about 11 or 12. I walked up and called out........”Terry..........?” She turned towards me without answering and I said “Terry (I’ll leave out her last name)?” It was her. She didn’t even deny it. She replied “Yes?”

I said “Its me! Jeff (last name)!”

She almost stared right through me and said “I’m sorry, but I don’t know you”.

It was before everyone’s information was online. I went old school and looked her up in the local phone book. Of course with a name like Terry and her last name was fairly common I found several hits. Could have been male or female. I decided not to be a stalker and call any of them to see if she picked up. I just let it go.

I knew Terry well. We were lovers for a while. And the woman in the Target even answered to her name. But I’ve always wondered...........

That is strange. I’d think she would have at least acknowledged you even if she didn’t want the son to know. A simple hi and how ya doing would have been appropriate. I know you mentioned she had a child when u met but any chance the one with her could have been yours? Not being rude but you did mention you were that close. If that was the case she may not want you to know.

Aaaand I'm gonna add another angle. I was briefly involved in a very, very abusive relationship for a bit over a year. Now, the reason I know this is because I have been told what happened from others. I remember bits and pieces, but for the most part that time of my life is a giant blank slate. If I had met you during that time period it's likely I wouldn't remember you. I realize I could probably go back in time and push those memories forward, but sometimes in abuse situations you just don't want to remember and you just want it to go away. Even if she had recognition of you, that period of her life may be painful enough she doesn't wish to recall any of it.

I'm at peace with my "missing" year. She may be as well if her circumstances have changed for the better.

And if it was a doppleganger, it brought you a memory. :)

Aaaand I'm gonna add another angle. I was briefly involved in a very, very abusive relationship for a bit over a year. Now, the reason I know this is because I have been told what happened from others. I remember bits and pieces, but for the most part that time of my life is a giant blank slate. If I had met you during that time period it's likely I wouldn't remember you. I realize I could probably go back in time and push those memories forward, but sometimes in abuse situations you just don't want to remember and you just want it to go away. Even if she had recognition of you, that period of her life may be painful enough she doesn't wish to recall any of it.

I'm at peace with my "missing" year. She may be as well if her circumstances have changed for the better.

That's true I was in a abusive relatioinship for 7years and had 3 children with the women.The only things I remember is my kids birth and a couple of nice times.I was wondering why i'd forgot everything.Sometimes it can be the guy who is the victim.My kids don't talk to their mother now as adults,its a shame but she made it that way for herself.

That's true I was in a abusive relatioinship for 7years and had 3 children with the women.The only things I remember is my kids birth and a couple of nice times.I was wondering why i'd forgot everything.Sometimes it can be the guy who is the victim.My kids don't talk to their mother now as adults,its a shame but she made it that way for herself.
Oz, that is so true and often overlooked. I just spent the last 4 years raising my great nephew (who is now 18, YAY!) Very abusive mom. Child actually has a hole in his retina from being bashed in the head so many times. Bless you and may you only have the good memories.

That is strange. I’d think she would have at least acknowledged you even if she didn’t want the son to know. A simple hi and how ya doing would have been appropriate. I know you mentioned she had a child when u met but any chance the one with her could have been yours? Not being rude but you did mention you were that close. If that was the case she may not want you to know.

Oh, that’s not rude. Didn’t take it that way at all. That was her son from her husband, almost no doubt. He looked just like his dad.

Reactions: Lynne

Wow. That’s a great angle I had never thought about. He was a monster!!

Oz, that is so true and often overlooked. I just spent the last 4 years raising my great nephew (who is now 18, YAY!) Very abusive mom. Child actually has a hole in his retina from being bashed in the head so many times. Bless you and may you only have the good memories.
Thanks Debi and good on you for stepping in and helping your nephew,you wonder how a mum can be that cruel.

Reactions: Lynne