Don't Get Mad, Get Even

Ok, a couple of these stories I've posted previously, so rather than rewrite them, here are the links.

I'll post another one, maybe two, later.

Last edited:
My best friend, who died a few years ago, and I spent years pranking each other. He was a devious EE who graduated from college a year ahead of me.

On the Friday night after his last final, a group of us went out drinking. We wound up in a notorious strip club across the river in Northern Kentucky, and my buddy decided it would be funny to pay a large, unattractive performer to sit in the lap of a very drunk Duke and suggest she do unspeakable things to me. I promised him I'd get even.

As it turned out, a year or so earlier, the University of Cincinnati had changed its logo. They literally threw out thousands of sheets of school stationary/envelopes with the old logo, which many of us grabbed reams of for scratch paper and to do homework problems on. This gave me both an idea and opportunity for revenge.

I was a coop student in Texas that summer. I called one of my classmates whose coop job was in Cincinnati and asked him to send me a dozen sheets of the stationary and envelopes. I then wrote a letter to my friend telling him transfer credits for one trivial elective course from his freshman year at another university had wrongly been accepted. "We are very sorry for this error, but the fact remains you did not graduate. By law, we must make your employer aware of this."

The beauty of this was his former academic advisor was a Brit whose name I remembered. So I wrote the letter as if it was from him, making sure to use UK spelling on a few key words and used a British expression ("feel free to ring me up") in the text of the letter. It was a great letter, and one I hoped would send him into orbit.

The letter/envelope was gleefully typed up (and signed) by my boss's secretary. I mailed it back to my classmate in Cincinnati. He in turn dropped it in the mail at the UC campus post office, where it got a UC postmark. Now all I had to do was wait....in Texas where I was above suspicion.

As planned, my buddy got the letter and bought it hook, line, and sinker. As he told me the story later, upon receiving the letter he immediately called his former professor. As luck would have it, instead of telling my friend he wrote no such letter, the prof told him he didn't remember signing the letter and asked him to send him a copy of the letter. He promised to look into it, and again apologized. I couldn't have paid the prof to have handled this any better!

While standing in line at the copy machine at work the next day, he was rereading the letter and noticed the initials of the typist at the bottom of the letter were mine....as I had instructed the secretary to do. He knew he'd been had. He called the prof and told to forget it. He graciously accepted defeat in a phone call that night. I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself.

Over the next 40 years, we told that story countless times. We agreed we'd tell the story at the other's funeral, but sadly Mike died during COVID and I wasn't able to attend his service in Rhode Island. I hope to tell his grandchildren the story someday.

Last edited:
As to pranks, not much of a prankster, so I don't get pranks pulled on me. As to RL, I let karma handle things, I distance myself from those who burn me and move forward, try do better than yesterday.
I was in a frat however and witnessed many awesome pranks....

A buddy was house sitting while is older brother and family were on vacation...during this time my buddy and a few frat brothers moved literally everything from the house into the 2 car garage. So when his brother returned it would appear as if they totally got robbed. It worked :O
As payback by the older brother...He waited until a summer frat party when younger would be wrecked. Showed up and younger was passed out on the frat house couch. Older and a few of his friends dressed younger in a dress and make up, the whole nine yards, purse too. Drove to OC Nj boardwalk(summer time) and put bus money in the purse and put him on a bench and left him there to get home dressed as a woman. ( remember ppl this was over 20 years ago :D)

Well, this one leaves me right out of the loop. I've never been one to "get someone back". I always feel bad when someone has a prank played on them, and I'd feel too guilty to do a pay back. Yup...bit of a wimp on this type of thing! lol

Well, this one leaves me right out of the loop. I've never been one to "get someone back". I always feel bad when someone has a prank played on them, and I'd feel too guilty to do a pay back. Yup...bit of a wimp on this type of thing! lol
me too, ive never been one for revenge either, i figure karma bites everyone in the end. i rarely even get really mad, and if i do get upset i can usually let it go pretty quickly

Oh, yes. And there's someone out there now that I'd LOVE to get even with. And I'm still entertaining that idea as I type. I won't go into detail, but she's sick, twisted, evil. She strikes me as the kind of person that would laugh with you to your face - but talk about you behind your back. She didn't fool me for a second. Former customer of mine I used to service. Most people don't know who she is. I do.

And I will add that while tempting, it isn't my place.

Last edited:
My best friend, who died a few years ago, and I spent years pranking each other. He was a devious EE who graduated from college a year ahead of me.

On the Friday night after his last final, a group of us went out drinking. We wound up in a notorious strip club across the river in Northern Kentucky, and my buddy decided it would be funny to pay a large, unattractive performer to sit in the lap of a very drunk Duke and suggest she do unspeakable things to me. I promised him I'd get even.

As it turned out, a year or so earlier, the University of Cincinnati had changed its logo. They literally threw out thousands of sheets of school stationary/envelopes with the old logo, which many of us grabbed reams of for scratch paper and to do homework problems on. This gave me both an idea and opportunity for revenge.

I was a coop student in Texas that summer. I called one of my classmates whose coop job was in Cincinnati and asked him to send me a dozen sheets of the stationary and envelopes. I then wrote a letter to my friend telling him transfer credits for one trivial elective course from his freshman year at another university had wrongly been accepted. "We are very sorry for this error, but the fact remains you did not graduate. By law, we must make your employer aware of this."

The beauty of this was his former academic advisor was a Brit whose name I remembered. So I wrote the letter as if it was from him, making sure to use UK spelling on a few key words and used a British expression ("feel free to ring me up") in the text of the letter. It was a great letter, and one I hoped would send him into orbit.

The letter/envelope was gleefully typed up (and signed) by my boss's secretary. I mailed it back to my classmate in Cincinnati. He in turn dropped it in the mail at the UC campus post office, where it got a UC postmark. Now all I had to do was wait....in Texas where I was above suspicion.

As planned, my buddy got the letter and bought it hook, line, and sinker. As he told me the story later, upon receiving the letter he immediately called his former professor. As luck would have it, instead of telling my friend he wrote no such letter, the prof told him he didn't remember signing the letter and asked him to send him a copy of the letter. He promised to look into it, and again apologized. I couldn't have paid the prof to have handled this any better!

While standing in line at the copy machine at work the next day, he was rereading the letter and noticed the initials of the typist at the bottom of the letter were mine....as I had instructed the secretary to do. He knew he'd been had. He called the prof and told to forget it. He graciously accepted defeat in a phone call that night. I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself.

Over the next 40 years, we told that story countless times. We agreed we'd tell the story at the other's funeral, but sadly Mike died during COVID and I wasn't able to attend his service in Rhode Island. I hope to tell his grandchildren the story someday.
I am so sorry you lost your friend first off, He sounded like a great guy. Please don't ever get mad at me lol. great prank.

We are very much alike. Because my friends all know I do not like surprised or pranks they pretty much leave me alone on this topic. Its, no fun to do it to someone who doesn't get it, lol. I do not judge others and I like a good joke, but I am not a prank person.