Open Lines Dog hijacks tractor

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-32411621

While Mr Hamilton was examining a lamb he turned round to see the Gator utility vehicle crashing through the fence and heading down an embankment on to the northbound lane of the M74 with Don still sitting in it.

The vehicle stopped after hitting the central barrier, smashing the windscreen.

Mr Hamilton said he feared that he had not pulled the handbrake properly and was extremely relieved that no drivers were hurt.

The farmer was also relieved that Don escaped with little more than a fright.

It later emerged that a sheepdog called Don, owned by farmer Tom Hamilton, had leaned on the controls of his utility vehicle, taking it on to the road.

_82483971_82483967.jpg

This is what happens when you let a dog get behind the wheel! lol I had this happen with a boxer who learned how to sit on the accelerator of our golf cart we had on our property. She managed to run it into a tree. Golf cart fender broke...dog was OK.

OK, I'm going to ask the obvious...he DIDN'T turn the ignition off before he left the tractor?

Reactions: sal
I'm thinking that is a no. I've driven one of those gators, and the one I drove had a gear shift. I think perhaps the dog leaned on it and put it in gear from neutral. Even with the brake on, it would override the brake if it was in gear based on my experience of one.

Our golf cart was gas. You could leave the key on and it wouldn't move unless you pushed the gas pedal. That's how our Kassie took off with ours.

Our golf cart was gas. You could leave the key on and it wouldn't move unless you pushed the gas pedal. That's how our Kassie took off with ours.
The in-laws had a golf cart that was the same way... could be standard, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure it is standard, Surge. Since it doesn't run until you hit the gas pedal, it's easy to leave it in gear and the key on. Kassie just climbed on and off she went! lol Pedal to the metal and all! We tried to double check on the key position after that little event.

Reactions: surge