Dog Acting Bizarre

Deacon303

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. This happened last night. I posted this on Reddit for about 10 minutes and removed it because I was treated like an idiot. Because Reddit. So I found you folks!

OK, I think we need help. Sorry if this is long. My dog started acting bizarre tonight. She was fine all day. I took her out for her last walk of the night and when we came in, I took her harness off at the front door. She took two steps down the hallway and froze, staring into the master bedroom down the hall. I was behind her and my mom was in the kitchen on the other side of the house from that bedroom. I started talking to the dog, but she ignored me and kept staring.

I walked towards the bedroom and didn't see anything. The dog watched me and followed, stopping next to me... and staring into the room again. So I walked into the room. She followed and again stared at the far end of my mom's bed. There was no growling or barking (her hair doesn't stand up, she's a bichon, so her hair is short and curly... it's also hair, not fur). She didn't seem to be bothered walking into the room, but the staring continued.

Fast forward two hours. I heard the dog leave the bedroom (she sleeps on the bed with my mom). I assumed she was getting water. But then I heard her jump up onto one of the chairs in the living room, which she rarely does. She then jumped down and walked around. When I came out of my room to see what she was doing (she's a trouble maker), she was standing at the foot of the stairs staring up at me (she's done this in the middle of the night before, but something is usually wrong, and she usually does small woofs trying to get my attention. The only time she has done it before, my mother had either fallen or was having an issue getting out of her bed). I went back into my room for about 5 minutes and went out again. She hadn't budged. I went downstairs and she greeted me with a wagging tail and followed me around (not unusual), but didn't indicate towards the room again. When I went back upstairs she laid down at the foot of the steps. She went back to the bedroom about 30 minutes later.

I've had things move around the house but can usually explain it away. This... is weird. Back story for assistance: we've been in this house 20 years and we're the original owners. It was originally farmland that the house is built on, I believe. May have been woods. But it smells like pig crap when it rains, so I assume there was a pig farm here at some point. Anyway, dad died in 2016 from a brain tumor, but he did not die in the house. Because he became violent during his illness, the state ordered him into a special nursing home, so he was out of the house for the entire year before he died. I've always assumed it was him in the house trying to get our attention, but I'm not so sure. He was horrible to the dog before he went into the nursing home, so I'm not sure she'd walk into the bedroom if she thought he was in there. He also didn't like me very much during his illness because, as I said, he became violent and I happen to be the one who was preventing his violent acts from coming to completion (he kept trying to hit my mother and his blows never arrived because I wouldn't allow it). The weird stuff started happening while dad was sick and in the nursing home, but at that point it was usually smells (men's cologne was a big one; dad never wore the stuff).

So at this point, I'm not sure it is actually my dad. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to "cleanse" the house? Is it possible to do an investigation without inviting more crap into the house? Thanks.

Hi all, I'm new here. This happened last night. I posted this on Reddit for about 10 minutes and removed it because I was treated like an idiot. Because Reddit. So I found you folks!

OK, I think we need help. Sorry if this is long. My dog started acting bizarre tonight. She was fine all day. I took her out for her last walk of the night and when we came in, I took her harness off at the front door. She took two steps down the hallway and froze, staring into the master bedroom down the hall. I was behind her and my mom was in the kitchen on the other side of the house from that bedroom. I started talking to the dog, but she ignored me and kept staring.

I walked towards the bedroom and didn't see anything. The dog watched me and followed, stopping next to me... and staring into the room again. So I walked into the room. She followed and again stared at the far end of my mom's bed. There was no growling or barking (her hair doesn't stand up, she's a bichon, so her hair is short and curly... it's also hair, not fur). She didn't seem to be bothered walking into the room, but the staring continued.

Fast forward two hours. I heard the dog leave the bedroom (she sleeps on the bed with my mom). I assumed she was getting water. But then I heard her jump up onto one of the chairs in the living room, which she rarely does. She then jumped down and walked around. When I came out of my room to see what she was doing (she's a trouble maker), she was standing at the foot of the stairs staring up at me (she's done this in the middle of the night before, but something is usually wrong, and she usually does small woofs trying to get my attention. The only time she has done it before, my mother had either fallen or was having an issue getting out of her bed). I went back into my room for about 5 minutes and went out again. She hadn't budged. I went downstairs and she greeted me with a wagging tail and followed me around (not unusual), but didn't indicate towards the room again. When I went back upstairs she laid down at the foot of the steps. She went back to the bedroom about 30 minutes later.

I've had things move around the house but can usually explain it away. This... is weird. Back story for assistance: we've been in this house 20 years and we're the original owners. It was originally farmland that the house is built on, I believe. May have been woods. But it smells like pig crap when it rains, so I assume there was a pig farm here at some point. Anyway, dad died in 2016 from a brain tumor, but he did not die in the house. Because he became violent during his illness, the state ordered him into a special nursing home, so he was out of the house for the entire year before he died. I've always assumed it was him in the house trying to get our attention, but I'm not so sure. He was horrible to the dog before he went into the nursing home, so I'm not sure she'd walk into the bedroom if she thought he was in there. He also didn't like me very much during his illness because, as I said, he became violent and I happen to be the one who was preventing his violent acts from coming to completion (he kept trying to hit my mother and his blows never arrived because I wouldn't allow it). The weird stuff started happening while dad was sick and in the nursing home, but at that point it was usually smells (men's cologne was a big one; dad never wore the stuff).

So at this point, I'm not sure it is actually my dad. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to "cleanse" the house? Is it possible to do an investigation without inviting more crap into the house? Thanks.

Hi Deacon, and welcome to the forum. Would mind giving us more details where we are talking about? I'm not looking for an address or GPS coordinates, just in general terms. Something like "an hour west of St Louis" or "south central Co. Donegal." Also is there anything you can tell us about the history of the general area?

Yeah, just outside Durham, NC. Not sure too much about history. Lots of historic buildings, a lot are gone now since they are trying to turn the area into NJ. LOTS of construction. I know there are Civil War reenactments here occasionally, but again, not sure if there was a battlefield here at some point or what. However, in the 20 years I've been here, nothing weird has happened until my dad became ill.

Yeah, just outside Durham, NC. Not sure too much about history. Lots of historic buildings, a lot are gone now since they are trying to turn the area into NJ. LOTS of construction. I know there are Civil War reenactments here occasionally, but again, not sure if there was a battlefield here at some point or what. However, in the 20 years I've been here, nothing weird has happened until my dad became ill.
Hi Deacon, and welcome. First, here are some ideas for you when dealing with activity in a home.

PNF Suggestions for Paranormal Activity Problems

It is always very difficult to pinpoint what may or may not be causing the activity that is causing the dog to alert. My own dogs are used to what I call "benign visitors" and will often go into "alert" and stare mode when I sense a visitor from the other side. You live in an area that would be ripe for paranormal disturbances by the description of the land and construction going on.

I would suggest you try cleansing the home as a first step, but then perhaps putting some wards on the area around the house. There is no guarantee this will work, but it gives you a place to start. Also, don't know your religious beliefs, but the prayers in that link for protection are often very helpful in settling down the activity.

Hi Deacon, welcome to the forum. After reading your post it reminded me of my situation a little bit. As a kid things were pretty normal at home (we are also the original owners of the house) but when my dad passed away when I was 9, the paranormal activity arrived and although some experiences I can claim were my dad, there were many more that weren't. You can read some of my posts for the full details, but the point I'm trying to make here is that perhaps your dad is around (I would not advise interacting with whatever is in your house) and other paranormal entities may have come through as well which I believe was probably the case for me and the bulk of my experiences.

If you are uncomfortable with the experiences in your home the forum can provide you with information to guide you, as I can see Debi has already done :)

I have a theory that in some cases, when someone dear has passed away and then comes back to visit, sometimes other, unwanted things may slip through. I have no way of proving this, it is just a theory of mine.

Dogs do react to paranormal entities with their heightened sensitivity,I feel if it was your dad's spirit the dog may have been wary as he remembered your dad being ill and unpleasant to it.As he has passed I believe he is in a pure form of love now and I'm sure was just checking in on you,as dads without a brain illness would do.Welcome Deacon.

I have a theory that in some cases, when someone dear has passed away and then comes back to visit, sometimes other, unwanted things may slip through. I have no way of proving this, it is just a theory of mine.
That's an interesting theory Garnet,do you think they somehow slip through unseen when your loved ones open the door,it's a scary thought.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Welcome Deacon. I’m a bit late but will say you’ve gotten good advice. House cleaning and prayer is the way to go. It may just be a passing spirit. I wouldn’t be too worried unless you have more activity.

Reactions: ozentity