Does Cryptobotany Exist?

In a more serious note, I contactd a cryptozooogist and mentioned ccryptobotany. He directed me to some information about possible glow-in-the-dark plants. This acutally sounds plausible as I have already encountered bioluminescent mushrooms (technnically it is the bacteria that live on the fungus that glows in the dark). This picture was taken one night while going done a mountainside.
mycenaglow.PNG

Sort of off topic, but with the world constantly changing, i imagine there will be things that 'pop' up. Since moving into my house, i have seen alot of different insects. I have noticed through the twenty years i lived here, a few unknown insects have 'popped' up that i have NEVER in my entire life have seen around here. I know bugs can migrate but these few oddities are staying. Going to have to look them up and curb my curiosity.

Reactions: Lynne
With my new interest in cryptobotany, I thought I would start with a relatively easy research project. There is rumored to be the infamous 'kite eating tree' as illustrated here by 'some guy' name Charles Schulz. I am told it is relatively easy to find if you use the right 'bait'.
View attachment 40988
Couldn't resist lol.

• Hands Clapping
Reactions: Lynne and mottorpop
Sort of off topic, but with the world constantly changing, i imagine there will be things that 'pop' up. Since moving into my house, i have seen alot of different insects. I have noticed through the twenty years i lived here, a few unknown insects have 'popped' up that i have NEVER in my entire life have seen around here. I know bugs can migrate but these few oddities are staying. Going to have to look them up and curb my curiosity.
Speaking of things popping up, we have had a lot of previously unseen plants/weeds growing in our yard since we got nailed by the tornado three years ago. Former farm girl Mrs Duke is really good at identifying plants, but a few even stumped her. I guess the storm carried seeds into the yard and they took.

Speaking of things popping up, we have had a lot of previously unseen plants/weeds growing in our yard since we got nailed by the tornado three years ago. Former farm girl Mrs Duke is really good at identifying plants, but a few even stumped her. I guess the storm carried seeds into the yard and they took.
Wow ... as a botanist that includes biogeography in his studies, that is actually fascinating to hear and consider. However, there probably is not much selection advantage to developing seeds to be dispersed during superstorms.

However, there probably is not much selection advantage to developing seeds to be dispersed during superstorms.
Not sure I understand this statement. By "selection" I assume you mean natural selection, but by "developing" are you talking about plants' seeding processes/methods evolving?

That's pretty mad Duke, we are getting grasses and weeds around that you would never see as it used to be too cold but I think climate change is to blame.

That's pretty mad Duke, we are getting grasses and weeds around that you would never see as it used to be too cold but I think climate change is to blame.
Ahh a good hypothesis

Reactions: ozentity