Do you smell that?

White Shoulders perfume. I know it's an old one, but I still love the smell of it even though I can't wear it. Mom wore that a lot. As did a LOT of ladies back then! An entire room of perfumed ladies used to set me into an asthma attack! lol
No one there will appreciate it but let me in the lounge so I can sniff the ladies. That is a positive scent memory for me too.

Talking about the coast made me think of another one.
Every year my parents would drive the 350 miles to visit relatives in Devon during the long summer holidays. We would set off at crack of sparrow fart and arrive just when it was getting dark. I could tell when we arrived because of the smell. It was near the coast so had that sea breeze smell but also the smell of hay in the fields mixed with it, and because it was rural there was the lingering smell of real coal fires and because it was getting dark that touch of dampness to it.
I doubt I will smell that again as coal fires are rare now, but good memories.

There is one smell that I remember from childhood, that was really unpleasant; for about a year, we lived near a factory that actually manufactured chocolate flavored rubber toys. One day at school, the wind was in the right direction to waft that awful smell right through the cafeteria windows. I threw up all over the table.
Wait...chocolate flavored rubber toys???........WHY!!!!!!!.......but now I think we could be on to why kids put everything in their mouth....lol....here's an idea, instead of "choking hazard " warnings on toys, why not just stop making them taste good?....lol

Reactions: garnetsilver
There is one smell that I remember from childhood, that was really unpleasant; for about a year, we lived near a factory that actually manufactured chocolate flavored rubber toys. One day at school, the wind was in the right direction to waft that awful smell right through the cafeteria windows. I threw up all over the table.

Reminds me of the chocolate covered cotton Milo tried to get the troops to eat in "Catch 22."

Reactions: garnetsilver
Wait...chocolate flavored rubber toys???........WHY!!!!!!!.......but now I think we could be on to why kids put everything in their mouth....lol....here's an idea, instead of "choking hazard " warnings on toys, why not just stop making them taste good?....lol
Yes, isn't that an awful concept? My baby sister at the time was even given one of these toys, made to look like a pretzel and to be used as a teething device. It smelled really awful. I can still remember that smell. Things weren't as strict in the 60's as they are now, concerning toys.