Do you smell that?

Because I live way inland,the smell of the ocean reminds me of surfing and fishing as a kid.I notice it about 50 km's from the coast.I never really thought how scents react with your brain,I can't imagine how much it does with dog's minds.

Because I live way inland,the smell of the ocean reminds me of surfing and fishing as a kid.I notice it about 50 km's from the coast.I never really thought how scents react with your brain,I can't imagine how much it does with dog's minds.
Good point.

Reactions: ozentity
I love the coast, I now live in the central area of Georgia but visit savannah every couple months, the Georgia coastal area is dotted with rivers lakes and swamps, so the smells are varied, but there is one smell you will never forget, and that is the many paper mills along the outer banks.. for outsiders and tourists it is an awful, sickening sweet smell...lol… but when I smell that I feel that im back in time. and after an hour its like I never left.....

I love the coast, I now live in the central area of Georgia but visit savannah every couple months, the Georgia coastal area is dotted with rivers lakes and swamps, so the smells are varied, but there is one smell you will never forget, and that is the many paper mills along the outer banks.. for outsiders and tourists it is an awful, sickening sweet smell...lol… but when I smell that I feel that im back in time. and after an hour its like I never left.....

Your post reminded me of the smell associated with the area around Eglin AFB in the Florida panhandle along what's known as the "Redneck Riveria." I noticed it immediately after getting off the airplane, a slightly sweet, pungent smell. I eventually found out it was the result of decaying vegetation, mostly mangroves I was told, along the coast. When I got home and took my clothes out of my suitcase, I could smell it.

There is one smell that I remember from childhood, that was really unpleasant; for about a year, we lived near a factory that actually manufactured chocolate flavored rubber toys. One day at school, the wind was in the right direction to waft that awful smell right through the cafeteria windows. I threw up all over the table.