Do you smell that?

Just really one thing. Growing up we used a lot of Dial Liquid hand soap and that's just a scent I can't forget. Childhood memories come flooding back in whenever I do because they were simpler, and happier times. And things, of course at the time just made so much more sense than they do now.

Rowan, I painted a few auto body shops and mechanic shops. For some reason they all smell exactly the same.:)
Irish Spring soap.
Cat nip. It's in the mint family and has a unique odor and I know my cats are going to be very happy.

The smell of lumber, like walking into Lowe's or Home Depot, always takes me back to my grandfather's garage. He was a carpenter by trade and was always working wood in the garage.

When I was a toddler, 3-4 years old, I had a little table and chair in my room that I would sit in to play, draw, read, whatever. I was so sad the day I realized that I was too old and too big to sit in that chair and play on that table. I must have been about 6 or 7.

At age 10 I was hanging out with my grandfather in his garage, watching him cut and shape wood into wonderful things. I asked if I could help and even though it slowed his work down considerably he took me through each and every step of what he was doing. That was my first ever wood working project, it was a small, toddler sized wooden chair for one of my cousins who was just turning 3 years old. I recognized the design of the chair but it took me a little bit to realize that it was the same as the one I had outgrown. It suddenly dawned on me that my favorite table and chair were made for me by my grandfather.

The smell of lumber, like walking into Lowe's or Home Depot, always takes me back to my grandfather's garage. He was a carpenter by trade and was always working wood in the garage.

When I was a toddler, 3-4 years old, I had a little table and chair in my room that I would sit in to play, draw, read, whatever. I was so sad the day I realized that I was too old and too big to sit in that chair and play on that table. I must have been about 6 or 7.

At age 10 I was hanging out with my grandfather in his garage, watching him cut and shape wood into wonderful things. I asked if I could help and even though it slowed his work down considerably he took me through each and every step of what he was doing. That was my first ever wood working project, it was a small, toddler sized wooden chair for one of my cousins who was just turning 3 years old. I recognized the design of the chair but it took me a little bit to realize that it was the same as the one I had outgrown. It suddenly dawned on me that my favorite table and chair were made for me by my grandfather.
What a great memory

Finger nail polish and remover gives me an instant headache. The smell of whatever is used in traditional beauty shops ( permanent solution ? ) doesn't agree with me. Cooking cabbage and kale and sauerkraut and brussel sprouts don't agree with me. I can eat kale and cabbage raw, just not cooked. I'm not fond of cooked carrots but I love them raw.

Most things from the oven, especially bread and cookies are favorites. Sawn lumber is comforting. A crackling fire smells of fall. Wet leaves in the woods says fall and winter. I can still remember the smell of schools and libraries, most likely old wooden bookshelves and books.

there was a rose scented perfume a one time girl friend wore that brings back memories I can't really discuss on a family forum.

I met a girl back in 90 that wore a rose scented perfume also. it was a scent that was old fashioned and different than most popular fragrances at the time. I had forgotten that, until reading your post and all of a sudden I could smell that scent... we dated for 4 months before the universe had other plans to follow...I sometimes wonder how she is doing and where life took her..... I never even knew her name...lol

Oil paint and turpentine brings back school memories, diesel fuel and pine-sol bring back past experiences......charlie perfume has some good memories.
We are from the same generation I think lol. A great perfume.

Reactions: Paulm