Do you smell that?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
IT'S A KNOWN FACT THAT SMELLS CAN TRIGGER EMOTIONS AND MEMORIES. IT'S ACTUALLY USED IN THERAPY FOR PEOPLE IN REHAB SETTINGS, ESPECIALLY ALZHEIMER'S PATIENTS.

WHAT SMELLS TRIGGER MEMORIES FOR YOU? GOOD OR BAD...I'D LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOUR NOSE TELLS YOUR BRAIN!

animals-hygiene-athlete_s_foot-smelly_foot-foot_odors-feet_odors-cgan3984_low.jpg

White Shoulders perfume. I know it's an old one, but I still love the smell of it even though I can't wear it. Mom wore that a lot. As did a LOT of ladies back then! An entire room of perfumed ladies used to set me into an asthma attack! lol

Joy perfume. The one that Elizabeth Taylor used to advertise for. Smells like all of my aunts and my grandma.:)
W,M&P naphtha ( super refined mineral spirits.)
A big bag of Burger King or Wendy's.

I am super sensitive to the smells of various things, especially in an enclosed area. Bug spray, paint, certain cleaning solutions/compounds, etc., will give me a killer headache to the point of making me physically ill. Worst of the lot is heated vinegar, as in how people will cycle vinegar through a coffee maker to clean it. First time that happened I was at work and an ambulance had to be called. There have been any number of times I've had to tell Mrs Duke that I needed to wait outside places we've gone to, the smell of something was getting to me.

On the plus side, nothing beats the smell of peat fire for me. Immediately brings to mind a pint of Smithwicks, a plate of hot lamb curry and chips (fries), and traditional Irish music. Also, there was a rose scented perfume a one time girl friend wore that brings back memories I can't really discuss on a family forum.

There is a certain smell of an old shed with a petrol lawnmower in it in the summer. Part oil, part creosote, part petrol and part mouldy grass clippings. It just reminds me of my grandfathers shed and relaxed warm summer evenings that seemed to go on forever.

The smell of a busy engineering workshop is where I have been most of my life. It is predominantly sulphur and oil from the cutting fluids that boil off during heavy turning. Very close to the smell of steam engines which is awesome.

One smell I don't like is freshly peeled oranges. I only discovered I was allergic to citrus about 10 years ago, but for years if anyone was peeling an orange I had to get out of the room.
Another I don't like - but remember very well, was in the process shop of the engineering works I started off in. It is the smell of cyanide. It has a metallic taste to it in the back of your throat similar to if you chewed aluminium foil. Only 2 major incidents while I was working there. 2 People died from the cyanide accident and one guy "smiler" just dropped dead at his machine where he always worked.