Do empty homes "die"

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
This comment from Pratchy reminded me of this topic:

I grew up in High Point, NC. There's something especially haunting about a boomtown that's gone bust. I read an earlier thread about the thinning veil. I think the veil thins when our physical human energy leaves a place, especially a place that was once populated and then there's a sudden almost vacuum of the energy.

Anyways, In High Point there's now a big wedding event place called McCulloch Castle. Very nice and a very expensive place to have a wedding. When I was a kid we knew how to get out to the old castle in the woods by parking on the south side of business 85 and hiking through the woods. The local Rebel Rouser MC would hang out in the area. It was VERY creepy and although I never saw anything there you couldn't deny the heavy and dark energy that was present in that old structure oddly placed out in the woods.

About 5 years ago, we were selling our smaller home and moving back into our "rental" home. We were bringing our nephew in to live with us so needed the third bedroom again. As we were waiting for the smaller home to sell, we left the rental sit vacant for 3 months. Kept the heat on, lights, etc., but it was empty of all life forms.

Within a month, I started to notice a change in the house. It was like the house was dying. Paint had started to peel in a corner, little things looked like they were starting to degrade. We started to have to "fix" things here and there. It was strange. At 6 weeks I decided to put a few plants back in there, and I went once a day and started talking to the house! I realize this sounds strange, but I'm telling you the house needed life energy to survive.

If you notice abandoned buildings, it makes you wonder why they so quickly degrade. Ignoring any overgrown yard, if you look at an empty house where all life has left it, it reminds me of PR's reference to the sudden vacuum of energy that occurs.

What do you think? Does a building need living energy?

Last edited:

About 5 years ago, we were selling our smaller home and moving back into our "rental" home. We were bringing our nephew in to live with us so needed the third bedroom again. As we were waiting for the smaller home to sell, we left the rental sit vacant for 3 months. Kept the heat on, lights, etc., but it was empty of all life forms.

Within a month, I started to notice a change in the house. It was like the house was dying. Paint had started to peel in a corner, little things looked like they were starting to degrade. We started to have to "fix" things here and there. It was strange. At 6 weeks I decided to put a few plants back in there, and I went once a day and started talking to the house! I realize this sounds strange, but I'm telling you the house needed life energy to survive.

If you notice abanded buildings, it makes you wonder why they so quickly degrade. Ignoring any overgrown yard, if you look at an empty house where all life has left it, it reminds me of PR's reference to the sudden vacuum of energy that occurs.

I think that’s a credible theory. Ever seen an abandoned house that wasn’t very old that didn’t seem to be in bad disrepair? And if someone was living in the house and not even maintaining it, the house being used would be in better shape than the abandoned one.

Reactions: Debi
I think that’s a credible theory. Ever seen an abandoned house that wasn’t very old that didn’t seem to be in bad disrepair? And if someone was living in the house and not even maintaining it, the house being used would be in better shape than the abandoned one.
I started to watch other homes and buildings after this happened and I really saw a pattern of it. Even business buildings....sometimes even more so with business buildings. A local grocery store built a new stand alone building last year and left the strip mall they were in. The rest of the building and stores in that mall look fine...where the grocery store was is now empty and has already gone through some radical changes and looks like it's degrading quickly.

Last edited:
I've seen some pretty valuable home properties go into neglect...at least viewed from the street and it makes me wonder why all those speculators are being kept out.

If you notice abanded buildings, it makes you wonder why they so quickly degrade. Ignoring any overgrown yard, if you look at an empty house where all life has left it, it reminds me of PR's reference to the sudden vacuum of energy that occurs.

That's an interesting concept. I would have to give it some thought and comparison to places I go and have been. It's worth some time spent, though.

When i was a kid we moved a lot and I always felt very sad when leaving places especially a place in Canton maybe it was because we were moving back to Detroit but I felt like the place needed us and we needed it, but it wasn't a house it was an apartment so I dont know what that was about maybe it was the only place I ever lived that I felt at home I did think at that time that the place didn't want to lose me as much as I didn't want to lose it. My bedroom clock I remember it was 11:10 when I finally unplugged it and I remember not plugging it back in when we moved for a long time.

I started to watch other homes and buildings after this happened and I really saw a pattern of it. Even business buildings....sometimes even more so with business buidlings. A local grocery store built a new stand alone building last year and left the strip mall they were in. The rest of the building and stores in that mall look fine...where the grocery store was is now empty and has already gone through some radical changes and looks like it's degrading quickly.
Very interesting to be sure.

What an interesting Thread.

It probably goes unnoticed to some degree.
Coincidentally, I have just moved house; all the dwellings in my former street are to be demolished, which is different than just remaining empty for a while.

It does sound natural, a house that is used as a home does take on some part of the dweller's personality.
But some of the residual energy begins to fade quite soon after it is vacated..

We see and feel it too with abandoned gardens., but they can keep their energy longer.

Yes, I do agree, that business accommodation often seems to degrade quicker than other properties.
It's understandable, seeing there is often not so much personal attention "life force" lavished on business spaces.

Thank you, xx

Also, when a property is abandoned on purpose, the occupant begins to withdraw their emotional connection sometime before moving out.
This was what happened in my case.
By the time I actually moved out, all my attachment had vanished.

Reactions: PratchysRevenge